The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

404 error in Subdirectory mode (11 posts)

1. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,

First of all, I know this is a pretty common problem and I've gone through many of the posts on this. I've read the readme and have gotten to the VirtualHosts part in the httpd.conf. This doesn't exist in our server's version of the file, but does in one of the GUIs for Apache (we are running SLES 10).

So here is the problem: I've installed MU and it appears to be working properly until you create a blog. In the admin panel, the blog appears correctly but accessing the newly created blog (ourdomain.com/blog/newblog) gives a 404 error.

If you couldn't tell from the example URL above, we are using Subdirectory mode. I understand that when you create a new blog, it does not actually create the folders on the disk of the server...So is it the VirtualHost directive I'm having a problem with? At first I thought maybe we wouldn't need the VirtualHost stuff because there is only one domain on this server.

I am having problems deciding how I should proceed and if anyone could help, I would appreciate it. I'm not exactly a Linux/server noobie so I'm willing to roll my sleeves up and get dirty if I must.

Thanks!

2. easysleeper
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is the problem accessing it from clicking a link, typing in the address manually or both?

3. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

The problem is both clicking a link and typing the address in manually.

4. easysleeper
    Posted 15 years ago #

well unfortunately I can't help you then. that sounds like a setup problem. If you have any added plugins you could try removing them and see if the issue goes away, and then add them back one at a time until it is re-created.

Sorry I can't help more

5. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope, no plugins. I've just installed it and there isn't anything on the blog yet.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

So you are running subdirectory mode in a subdirectory. What is your rewrite base set to? Its probably worth moving it up to the top level of the domain.

7. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you mean RewriteBase in htaccess, it's set to /blog

Moving it to root is not possible

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

and what is the exact error in the apache error logs?

9. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

File does not exist /srv/www/vhosts/kvsc/html/blog/newblog, referer: http://www.kv.k12.in.us/blog

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you are the only domain on that server and you are running in subdirectory mode then you shouldn't need to touch the apache config.

You do have www on the front of the domain name which could be causing problems

11. gpulido
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, that's good then.

I installed Wordpress MU to allow for www using the method described here:

http://manojkumar.org/install-wordpress-mu-with-www/
    (Method 2)

He's a member of this forum.

Our website does not work without the www, and we were told by our DNS host that it would not be possible for it to work without the www, making the hack above necessary.

About this Topic