The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Linked list of all blog posts titles by year...on the post page? (4 posts)

1. rcwatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got a really lame request from the stakeholders I'm building an intranet for. It seems that they don't like the speed and convenience of having a searchable blog to add and archive new press releases. They liked "the old way" where I manually maintained a list of links to individual, hand-coded press releases for them to browse. So what if it results in three extra clicks just to see some press releases. They want it.

The "problem" is, now that I'm using Wordpress, I need to somehow simulate that same effect by adding that functionality as a separate "view" of the posts table data.

So, they want to see something like this list of links across the top of the page:

2009 2008 2007 2006 2005

And then when you click one of those year links, you get a list of linked headlines to all the press releases belonging to that year in reverse chronological order:

- Press release 10
    - Press release 9
    - Press release 8
    - Press release 1

I know, it's a completely ridiculous use of a perfectly good blog system, but it's what they want.

Where do I begin? A plugin? A custom template page? If the template page, how do I "call" it from the main nav's "Press Releases" link?

Confused in Chicago

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

See the Extended Live Archives plugin or Better Archives.
    Also, are you on single WordPress?

3. rcwatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm on WPMU 2.6 and change. I've tried Extended Live Archives, but all I get is a cache error for years.dat. I'll give Better Archives a try. Thanks.

4. rcwatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Um, my search for "Better Archives" turns up the phrase, but not the name of a specific plugin. Any idea where I can download this?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by rcwatson
  • Latest reply from rcwatson