The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Shoutbox plugin (9 posts)

1. anothero
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am looking for Shoutbox-plugin for the blogs. Has anyone found one that is compatible with WordpressMU? I tried some and those didn't work...

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about a widget?

I note that it looks like a normal plugin but there's a comment further down that talks about it being a widget now. I can't unzip the download here (Locked down terminal) so I can't tell for sure.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I heard that the rudd-o one is not the best, at least for wp. there are a few more like http://pierre.sudarovich.free.fr/index.php/2006/10/18/ajax-shoutbox-with-sound-alert-who-is-online-and-without-spam/ but the author says its not compatible with wpmu, does not state why, so maybe we could modify it?

There is another one explicitly for wpmu: http://freepressblog.org/wordpress-plugins-2/wordpress-tagboard-plugin-widget/ this one is even available as a widget and uses all comment spam fighting techniques for shoutbox comments too...

4. DieHardMetsFan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see that you are recommending Wordspew and I downloaded it but it doesn't work. It shows up on my screen, but when I type something I get an error stating "An error took place while posting your comment. Please try again later." What am I doing wrong? I have this set up on multiple Wordpress sites and it works fine.

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just pointed someone towards it. Do read the rest of the post and note that I hadn't tried it.

I'm sure that you've checked your webserver's error logs, right?

6. DieHardMetsFan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I did not check the error logs. Would that tell me how to resolve it? If not, is there another alternatire to Wordspew?

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

From the readme file, included with MU:

"If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst."

Checking error logs, and being able to troubleshoot is part of what is implied there. If you can't figure out what's going on for yourself, how can you support your user base? "Most" would run right back here, and expect the answer while their user is "on hold". Which, isn't fair to the end user, nor to the volunteers here.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, to add to that, have you asked the plugin author? That typically falls under their "responsibility", unless specified otherwise. Volunteers here can't be expected to know every plugin, and if it has problems or not.

9. DieHardMetsFan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I currently have 2 issues left with Wordpress MU, and I've done all that I can to resolve them. I'm trying to find a tagboard or wordspew plugin that works with MU. I have it set up on multiple Wordpress blogs and it works like a charm. I contacted Rudd-O before ever coming here and he said that MU is a whole other beast. So I figured that it didn't work and began checking the forums out where you guys recommended it to somebody else. So I figured lets give it a shot again. If you guys did not direct somebody there then I wouldn't have brought this up again. However, I'm looking for an alternative that does work.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by anothero
  • Latest reply from DieHardMetsFan