The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Database Tables Missing. (16 posts)

1. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm trying to install wordpress mu at the root www directory locally with wamp server and keep getting the following error.

Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.

During the installation wordpress stated that it was installed correctly, gave me the admin user name and a password. After that is when things fall apart. The installation created all the tables in the database. Is there something basic that I'm missing?

Thanks

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Delete the .htaccess files,. delete wp-config.php, drop all the tables in the database and try again.

3. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply andrea. I've deleted the recommended files, recreated the database, and still get the same error.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So what does it say in the wp_site table?

5. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not sure what you're asking. Are you asking me what tables did the installation create?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, I'm asking when you look at the wp_site table, what's in it? There should be a few fields with your site information in there.

7. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've got three fields:
    id
    domain
    path

I'm not sure what, if anything is in those fields.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

id = 1
    domain = yourdomainname
    path = /

That's what it should say. If you're in phpmyadmin, click the pencil icon.

9. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

When I click on the pencil, it shows the details of that field, but not any records in each.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

For some reason the values didn't get written to the db on install. Fill them in. Should work.

You started with an empty database, right? And you filled in the info on the install screen, right?

11. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

The only things it asked for on the install screen is the blog title and an email address.

Still trying to figure out how to ad a record to that table with the recommended information.

12. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, so I finally resolved my problem.

First, I started from scratch and removed all traces of my previous install.

Second, copied over a fresh version of mu and did not change ANYTHING. (I think most of my problems came from reading previous installation steps for regular wordpress.)

Third, added a line in my host file to include "localhost.localdomain"

Forth, created a new database.

Fifth, pointed my browser to localhost.localdomain and filled in the appropriate information asked.

Then it installed properly and now I'm off and running.

Thanks again for the assistance andrea!

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Uh.. you sure you have the WP MU download? It asks for a lot more than that.

Like whether you want subdir or subdomain, and your db info. Plus the blog name and info, and your main domain.

14. sdgenxr
    Posted 14 years ago #

I guess I left those details out. But it did ask for that info. My biggest mistake was to edit the wp_config.php manually.

It's seems to be working properly now!

15. corvusconceptions
    Posted 14 years ago #

I guess I left those details out. But it did ask for that info. My biggest mistake was to edit the wp_config.php manually.

It's seems to be working properly now!

Same issue here. I attempted to setup the wp_config.php manually, and could not get a proper install. Once I left the config setup to WordPress Mu, all was well. Thanks for the hint sdgenxr.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who edit the config file in MU, even though there is a very large statement at the top saying not to.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by sdgenxr
  • Latest reply from andrea_r