The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Global sitemap (7 posts)

1. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey, guys

Perhaps it's a dumb question, but still...

Is there a global sitemaps plugin that creates sitemaps of all blogs in 1 single file?

We've got WPMU working as CMS on one of our projects. So we have 10 or so sub-blogs kinda 'powering' different sections of the same website.
    WPMU is in subdir mode if this matters.

And now we came to question of creating a single sitemap of the whole site.
    All sitemaps plugins I've used before create sitemaps of individual blogs only.
    Can this trick be done 'globally' for all blogs and the result merged in single sitemap file?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can't find the thread right off but we discussed it before. There's no actual sitemap that will do this and I have to admit if Google would allow it on larger sites. I seem to remember something about 1 sitemap = 1 site only in there somewhere. Subdomains and domain mapping would probably rule this out.

But since you just have 10...

What I would do is this: Create a single temp page somewhere on your main site with just the links to the 10+ blogs. Do a google for java sitemap. Should come right up. Use that program but instead of pointing it to the main page of your main site, point it that list page so it'll go off to the other blogs.

May take some changing of the settings to get it to run but it should work.

If you really want a plugin, you could probably take the sitemap creation code out of Arne's plugin (or anyone else's) and stick it inside a loop that runs through all of the blogs.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would think that if the site is in subdir mode, G will see it as one site anyway.... and if the sitemap generation is handled correctly, yeah, that'd especially do it. :)

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Agreed. I had that in there previously but I rewrote it a few times and it must have come out. Sorry about that.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You need a couple more thumbs. :)

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks guys.

Gonna use tdjcbe's suggestions until I have some free time to rewrite sitemaps plugin.
    And yes, Arne's one is very good.

7. LarsS
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by VentureMaker
  • Latest reply from LarsS