The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problems after installing and uninstalling Maintenance Mode Plugin (19 posts)

1. tragicallyhip
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed Maintenance Mode plugin on my wpmu installation. Seemed to properly block access, but caused me to go in circles trying to edit posts and pages. I deleted it and installed the privacy options plugin which works, but I'm getting what appears to be residual behavior from Maintenance Mode. I can access the back end, create new posts, access all sorts of settings, but every time I try to edit an existing post or page, I'm asked to login again. Logging in takes me to back to dashboard, and if I try to edit a post or page, I get the login again. Rinse and repeat.

I don't see any .maintenance files in my directory, and I've cleared the cache and double-checked to ensure that I've fully deleted the plugin. Suggestions?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Before you deleted the plugin, did you reset things back to normal? You may have to replace the plugin files and do so.

3. tragicallyhip
    Posted 14 years ago #

I thought I had, but I must have missed that step because I just followed your advice and it seems to have worked.

Cheers!

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not a problem. Now I'm curious as to what you missed. :)

We still use the plugin on our installs. Haven't seen this problem but we leave it installed all the time, just turned off. I know Andrea suggests removing it when not in use. I wonder if she's seen the issue.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I haven't used it in ages, honestly. I'd have to go back and try again.

Now I want to do maintenance and shut people out, I plunk in an index.html in the root with a notice.

6. rebootnow
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r, that only works for people who are coming directly via the front page, right? Traffic coming directly to other pages (e.g. via search engines) will still get in.

Or am I missing something?

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, works for all since blogs and content is all virtual. Everything goes through the index.php file within root. The index.html file gets called before the index.php file on most server setups. You should check the DirectoryIndex line with Appache's config though to make sure the html comes first.

8. rebootnow
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmmm. This makes sense, but it isn't what I see. Once the index.html is in the root it is displayed when I go to the home page. If I go to another page (e.g. a specific page URL), that page loads.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, that's what he meant.

For many setups, it's enough to confuse most users they don't even try.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Maybe you're running a static page cache like wp-super-cache? I believe that bypasses the index files if a static cache file is found. I think....

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, he's saying if you just put an index.html page in the root, it doesn't truly block access like Maintenance Mode does. You can still get everywhere (including admin) as long as you know where to go.

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

What about renaming the index.php to index.php.old, and create a new index.php file with the "We're closed" message.

13. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

14. omgitsrfb
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea or anyone,
    If my .htaccess rewrite rule calls index.php would I need to change this to index.html before I plunk in the index.html file that signals the site is down? Then put .htaccess back to index.php when finished?

Thanks

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nope.

Should be a directive in Apache that tells the broswer which type of file has priority.

16. omgitsrfb
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm on a shared server while I get my site up and running and my host is telling me:

you can always redefine index file priority in .htaccess, like putting the following line: DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

What's the reason why I shouldn't do it this way so I can explain why I need them to change the directive in Aapche?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, if they say do it that way, try it. :)

18. omgitsrfb
    Posted 14 years ago #

looks like i gotta go with their settings since I am on a shared server. so are there any risks, or other considerations, with changing the priority on a temporary basis and then putting it back once the site is ready to go live?

thanks

19. omgitsrfb
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok, thx for your help.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by tragicallyhip
  • Latest reply from omgitsrfb