The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving (9 posts)

1. dp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is it difficult to move from wordpress 2.7.1 to wordpress MU?

Thanks.

2. SimonJ
    Posted 14 years ago #

Difficult is a very relative concept... :-)

And it it depends of what you mean by "moving" and the size of your current installation.

If you have several users on a single WP and you want to transfer all of them to their own blog on WPMU, from what I can tell, it's not easy...

What I did is to open an account on my server for the transition. I Installed WPMU there and I made some copy/paste from the WP database to the WPMU database.

If you want to keep all your users in one blog, it's not a big deal. A little night of try and error... :-)

S.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

How big is your single WP?

If is not big, hardly any users, you can use the import / export.

If it's any size, use the manual db tutorial.

And, you know, I gotta spell it out. WPMU is a separate program. If you're looking to *replace* your current WP install with MU, there's gonna be some down time. (unless you plan it right)

4. dp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

well what we are building is not a traditional blog i guess...we are adding authors manually (most of which are long since dead) and posting articles they wrote and applying them as author of article/book. We have about 500-1,000 articles so far.

BUT we also have forums, and some other hacks of all sorts.

However, based on the other answer andrea gave in another post about http://wpml.org/ maybe i dont really need WPMU.

ALl i want to do is to make transaltions of these books and articles and apply subdomains for them.

5. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Dead authors? Definitely not a traditional blog.

6. dp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

so what do u think andrea or others?

I was picturing making a subdomain for each language (ru.mysite.com) running a mechanical translator (is there a good way to do this) and saving that new language version. Then having my human translators come back and clean up translation.

do i really need to move to wpmu for making concurrent sites in different languages?

7. SimonJ
    Posted 14 years ago #

What you really need, I doubt anyone here can answer this question. :-)

Wordpress mu is made for a blog community, where users can open blogs or for multi-bloggers site, such as a newspaper site.

Of course, you can use it for wathever you want, and, yes, you can use it to open a collection of sub.domain blogs each one in a different language. With WPMU, ou will be able to admin all the blogs from a single interface.

The bottom line is, from what I can tell, to install, use and admin WPMU, is not as easy than the single user version of wordpress. It's not an out-of-the-box solution, just like others blog engine and CMS open source script. You will need technical knowledge and, if you don't have your own box to host yourself, a reliable host with friendly and reliable technical support.

Maybe another CMS with multilingual feature is what you are looking for...

S.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Or, in simpler terms - what you want to do can be done, and it can be done with WPMU, but it's also a big job.

Even before we get to the content part.

Bonus: my fave dead author is Jane Austen. ;)

9. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm thinking you don't really need WPMU. It could be done with WPMU, but the design/implementation will be different than what it sounds like you're trying to do.

It sounds like you want all your books/articles to be in one blog and the only reason you're looking at WPMU is for the subdomains. If that's the case, then I'd probably look at the standalone single blog wordpress and some plugins/customization that let you register multiple domains that point to the one blog and then based on which domain is referenced it calls a certain language localization file.

Here's one tutorial on doing that:
    http://blog-en.icanlocalize.com/installing-wordpress-for-multiple-language-blogs/

But even that mentions that WPML can do everything in the tutorial. (Awesome link btw, andrea_r. I hadn't seen it before and it might be useful for some of our sites too.)

About this Topic