The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Dashboard Blog: Catchable Fatal Error (17 posts)

1. vlm
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have the following error message on my Site Admin > Options page under the heading "Dashboard Blog":

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/vlm/public_html/zz_ProgramFiles/WordPressMU/BlogDev/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 112

Does anyone know to what this may refer?

Thank you kindly,
    Elchanan

2. vlm
    Posted 15 years ago #

MORE: My Site Options page does not have an Update button.
    E

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you running any plugins that hook into the site options pages?

Did you check your error logs?

4. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I have now taken down and reinstalled WPMU 3 times in one subdomain and created a parallel installation in another. The only substantive difference is that in the second installation, I have an alternate dashboard blog activated, whereas in the first, I do not.

With and only with that activated, it appears that any, or at least many, plugin-related actions crash the installation. In this case, what we did was select Plugins > Activate Plugins, that was the end of that. The resulting error message reports an error at .../wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 112, just as above. On the Site Admin > Options screen, the display halts at the Dashboard Blog, followed immediately by the "Catchable..." error message reported above. That's the end of the Options page.

If we were to continue with this installation, some features would work, but this is now the 4th time we have produced the same error message. The only thing that seems to matter is turning on the dashboard blog.

So there's a bit of a bug there. Is this explanation sufficiently clear for someone to pursue it?

Thank you kindly,
    Elchanan

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

So the alternative dashboard blog plugin is causing the problem?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, it's not a plugin - he means the dashboard *blog*.

I think it's time to file a ticket and see if we can get someone to confirm this.

7. tommylee
    Posted 14 years ago #

Got exactly the same error message at the same spot in the site admin section --> options.

error occurs right at the header: Dashboard blog (in the site options setting page)
    Error is:

Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/boomersh/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 112

The page does not finish rendering and thus updating the admin options is not possible.

line 112 refers to the path trailing slash /*$path = $current_site->path . $name . '/'; */

any resolve on this issue?

8. askhoapham
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, I've seen the error and here is my solution (I promise it will work for you guys, too)

Go to your phpmyadmin. Select the name of the database which your wordpress mu is using. Go to Search.

At the: Word(s) or value(s) to search for (wildcard: "%") type: dashboard_blog

Then on the Inside table(s): you have to scroll down and select wp_sitemeta to be inserted in the Search. OK, just click Go.

You will have the search resources above like this:

Search results for "dashboard_blog" at least one of the words:
    2 match(es) inside table wp_sitemeta | Browse | Delete

Click Browse and you will see 2 table. Edit the table name dashboard_blog.

Whatever you see the meta_value is. I don't remember exactly (may be ERROR and something) but you don't need to worry. Just delete all and type 1. Yes, just type the word "1" in the box ONLY.

Finally, click Go. And log in to you WP. See the result.

It works for me and I hope that it works for you, too.

Have a nice day!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can someone who has experienced this file a trac ticket?

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org

Use your login details from this forum.

10. ishimwe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I had the same error message but the solution askhoapham proposed worked for me.

@ askhoapham : How did u find that out genius? You're my hero.

11. Gus-F2C
    Posted 14 years ago #

Abosulutely awesome and many, many thanks to askhoapham

Glad there are folks like you about!

12. voodoodoodoo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I had the same problem and askhoapham's fix worked! Thanks!

The issue seems to be I enter another blog's name (or ID number) in the box. Works fine the first time it saves, but each time I display that page again, it's adds a trailing slash to the blog name (and if I had previously entered an ID, it converts it to the blog name).

So, for example, if I entered "twoblog", after saving, it displays as "twoblog/". Saving again causes the error.

13. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just ran into the same problem, checked trac and a ticket was filed.

The fix is located here: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/1936 though wasn't included in the last release (2.8.4a at this time), so you still have to make the modifications yourself if they're necessary.

Probably wouldn't be a problem for anybody but if you try and enter 'name/' or 'name.tld' it catches it and removes the invalid characters, but if you enter both at the same time 'name.tld/' it still causes an error. Just not a permanent one anymore. :)

14. Ladyartist
    Posted 14 years ago #

I had the same error message but the solution askhoapham proposed worked for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

@ askhoapham : You're my hero too!

15. moose123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just upgraded to 2.8.4a from 2.7.1 and this the error I'm getting:

"Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 107"

I have tried askhoapham's solution with no luck. When I browse my dashboard_blog table, there is no field in the Value column for meta_value.

I then went and made the changes to the two files detailed in the trac ticket and still getting the same error.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/1936

I appreciate any help.

Best,
    Moose

16. moose123
    Posted 14 years ago #

So I rolled 2.8.4a back to 2.7.1. My sites are back up, thankfully, but still getting the following message in Admin > Options, this time on line 112:

Dashboard Blog

"Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 112"

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

17. Shane G
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

Check with these options:

-> Disable all the plugins and enable it one by one to find out the culprit.
    -> Change your theme to default in order to rules out theme level problem
    -> Upgrade your wordpress to the latest version

Thanks,

Shane G.

About this Topic