The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

No subscriber registrations on subdirectory blogs (32 posts)

1. Brayne
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is kind of a bump on some other inputs. I thank anyone in advance for a direction of a solution.

I'm on a VPS and have checked for the need for wildcard entries and such..

I have...
    blog.site.org/
    blog.site.org/alabama
    blog.site.org/texas
    blog.site.org/virginia

Everything is working for the most part... except when "Joe visitor" wants to register for his state of texas, all news registrations, force the new subscribers to join blog.site.org.

This is weird because, from the back end I sign up users on the individual blogs no problem. Also the Admin - login works just fine from the individual blogs. BUT, a regular registration for each individual blog is forced to the main admin blog.

Is this the intended function of the latest release of MU? Do I need to roll up my sleeves and create a custom solution for this? Or is it a simple fix? It seems as though something is missing in the code somewhere because /wp-login.php is being called properly on all sub directories however /wp-signup.php is forced back to the main blog when it's called.

Thanks again in advance...

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

first of all how do you do a regular registration for each individual blog as far as I know the only way to do so is via this plugin, but my information might be outdated?
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/add-user-widget

###edit###
    what are your settings for 'Dashboard Blog' and 'Dashboard User Default Role' under the site admin options?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's a new setting in WPMU 2.7.x to allow users to let others register on their blog.

And yes, it has always bumped them back to the main blog. In this case, it probably should associate them to the right one. i gotta test it myself.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

wow, didn't catch that. There's a new setting in WPMU 2.7.x to allow users to let others register on their blog.

some helpful links for me andrea? how would one do that? enable/disable it? Widget?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, it's marked with a * under the blog-specific Users menu, if it;s turned on, and links to the Site Admin -> Options page, where it says "Allow blog administrators to add new users to their blog via the Users->Add New page. "

It's right under registration Notification and right above the Dashboard blog options.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

k, thanks but that still doesn't explain what he means by regular registrations: ´BUT, a regular registration for each individual blog is forced to the main admin blog.´

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

He means users trying to sign up on a member blog are redirected to sign up at the main blog.

like they always have been if they follow the register link on the front end.

8. Brayne
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea - You understand what I'm trying to do, thnx. and after some research, a few users are looking for this as well... I'm thinking I need to tap into the
    signup_header & wpmu_activate_user hooks and pass the $current_blog->path and $current_blog->blog_id into the new user registration... possibly make this an mu-plugin?

Once again, for clarification for others, this is for a new user to sign up as a user only to a child blog.

Do you think this the logic I should follow?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, just running through this in a test site and providing a recap.

under Site Admin -> Options, Registrations are open (blogs and/or just users)
    Also selected is "Allow blog administrators to add new users to their blog via the Users->Add New page. "

Now, this option allowed the individual blog owners to add a user to their blog manually. If the user is in the system already, great. If not, it sends an invite to the provided email address.

On the front end of the member blog, if you give a link to wp-register.php, it will come up not found (at least on mien it did).
    If you give a link to wp-signup, yes, it will redirect to the main blog's signup page.

There, they can sign up as a user, and then get added to the blog manually by the blog owner. Not ideal in many circumstance, but there you go. it's been this way for a while.

(note: you can have users added to a dashboard blog instead of the main blog. See the dashboard blog option under Site Admin -> Options)

So - if you want users to be able to bypass most of that, and sign up to an individual blogs directly, the work had been done, but the "sidebar user registration widget" has been pulled.

This http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/add-user-widget is close, but I think users still have to be added to the system as whole first.

That's the kicker with MU.

I really should post this to the tutes blog for reference.

10. Brayne
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea - Thank you for your investigative work!!!! So I'm not all that crazy after all!
    I have found some work being done on a plugin that claims to allow direct registrations to individual blogs - http://code.creativecommons.org/viewsvn/wordpressmu/trunk/mu-plugins/per_blog_registrations/ - testing it today...

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So I'm not all that crazy after all!"

Maybe not, but if you stick around here, it helps. :)

12. skozyk
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm really surprised MU works this way by default and there isn’t a way to easily change this. If I sign up for and create my own blog on an MU site and want to build a subscriber base for my new blog, how would I accomplish this when individuals who visit my blog are re-directed to the main MU site’s signup page, not a signup page for my blog? The blog visitor is expecting to register for the blog she is visiting, not the main MU host site, which she may not care about or even know exists. I’m just trying to determine the logic behind this functionality.

Plugin, hack, or otherwise can anyone provide the answer to how to accomplish allowing visitors of a WordPress MU site’s child blog to register for the child blog only without being re-directed to the main MU signup page?

Thank you.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I’m just trying to determine the logic behind this functionality."

Look at wordpress.com - it works exactly the same way there.

14. skozyk
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes this is the way wordpress.com works and I can see why they would want the site registration to function in this manner. It would produce more individual new blog registrations as opposed to just having a user register as a member of the blog they were reading. This would be an intelligent strategy for growing the site as it would certainly produce a greater number of total unique blogs on the site. It makes sense for wordpress.com and was the right choice for growing the site and the popularity of WP in general. The problem is this registration model doesn’t fit in with a high percentage of WPMU sites, because these site need users to be able to create a new blog on their MU domain, however after the new blog is created, visitors to the new blog should be able to register for that blog only.

For example, an MU installation for a school would require the “per blog” registration model, as teachers would set up their own classroom blogs on the main school MU site. Students would then be directed to register for their classroom at www,school-mu-site.com/my-classroom. The student needs to register only for their classroom, not the main school site. The “wordpress.com” registration model doesn’t work here, but the “per blog” model does.

Glancing around on the WPMU related discussion boards, I’ve see a large number of individuals requesting the “per blog” model for their MU sites. The pain is definitely there, but we haven’t been able to find a working solution. The Per-blog registrations for Wordpress-mu plugin by Nathan Kinkade http://labs.creativecommons.org/2008/07/01/per-blog-registrations-for-wordpress-mu/ was a well intended start to the solution, but even though it may have worked for previous versions of WPMU, it doesn’t work with the more current ones.

There is an obvious strong need for “per blog” registration functionality in WPMU sites. I hope we can work together to locate or produce a viable solution to this problem.

15. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a solution to this yet?

In my scenario, I chose to use mu so that I only have to maintain one codebase for all my client websites. My clients do not know or care that there are other blogs on the network. They simply want to run a wp site where their own visitors can register and become a part of their own blog site.

16. katoma
    Posted 14 years ago #

hey,
    i also came to the lack of signing a user to a special blog and did some research. as far as i tested, it seems to work, but unfortunately not as a plugin. i chaged some things in the wp-signup.php to get it work (if you now regsiter on subdomain blog you become a subscriber only for this blog).
    1. you have to uncomment line 25 to 28 like this:
    /*if( $current_blog->domain . $current_blog->path != $current_site->domain . $current_site->path ) {
    wp_redirect( "http://" . $current_site->domain . $current_site->path . "wp-signup.php" );
    die();
    }*/

i realy don´t have a clue, whether there are sideeffects. i think the lines a realy useless.
    2. some changes to line 280
    was:wpmu_signup_user($user_name, $user_email, apply_filters( "add_signup_meta", array('') ) );
    now:wpmu_signup_user($user_name, $user_email, apply_filters( "add_signup_meta", array( 'add_to_blog' => $blog_id, 'new_role' => 'subscriber' ) ) );

17. KarlMurx
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I tried katomas patch. It did not work at first. I am using WPMU 2.8.3 with subdirs. I had to add global $blog_id; into the function validate_user_signup().

function validate_user_signup() {
           global $blog_id;
  18. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am in the process of bringing Nathan's plugin up to speed. If anyone is interested in testing the plugin, please contact me through my contact form. (Note: do not test this plugin on a production environment nor with a buddypress install.)

19. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

A new plugin has been released that resolves this issue.

20. JVoss
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've installed the WPMU Blog Registrations plugin mentioned above to enable registration for child blogs, but I'm also using BuddyPress. I've created a bunch of custom registration fields using Buddypress, but they aren't incorporated in the child blog registration pages.

Clicking on "Register" in the parent blog goes to "blog.org/wp-signup.php", which includes all my buddypress fields. But "Register" on the child blogs goes to "child.blog.org/wp-login.php?action=register", which is just the standard wordpress registration page with username and email fields only.

Any ideas about how I could include Buddypress in these child registration pages?

21. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

This plugin is not pulling in the standard WP signup form; this plugin includes its own signup form, so you will need to edit it to include your extra BP fields. Not sure if the solution will work, but at least you will have a better understanding of how the plugin works.

22. uscommonsense
    Posted 14 years ago #

parkstreet,

I think I am doing something wrong with the Blog Registration plug-in. When I do a test-run at registering for a members' blog, I am bounced to the main blog site's registration page. When I key in a test account, nothing happens. Did you have any experience like this?

23. uscommonsense
    Posted 14 years ago #

Never mind, I got it to work. Must have been an issue when I uploaded the file the first time.

Thanks for your help, parkstreet.

24. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

@uscommonsense, that usually happens when you are using the wrong url. You have to make sure that the right url is being accessed, otherwise it will take you to the main registration page.

25. alanbliss
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've been having a trawl through and I can't see a good solution yet, has anyone else found a way?

really it's a simple sounding feature, if you want to join http://example.com/blog1 why not be able to sign up to that?

I'm also doing a site that's location based therefore people won't want to be members of the main blog, but the more relevant subdirectory blog. It's all very well being able to add members to a particular blog, but is it practical to ask each one which blog they want?

it's something that i'd pay for...

26. alanbliss
    Posted 14 years ago #

just a thought, is this something that might get resolved when the merge happens? I'm concerned at putting a lot of effort into an mu site to find that certain things won't work afterwards.

27. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

As far as I know, this is NOT an area addressed with the merge. The important things were just getting the code rolled in.

There is a plugin available for this though. I just don't have it on my list. :P

28. alanbliss
    Posted 14 years ago #

The only other solution I mulled over would be to set up directories have a seperate install of mu in each for the location sites, however then when using BP each 'community' would be isolated wouldn't it? even though this would be a better solution than having everyone sign up to 'main' homepage.

I really love what Wordpress can do, I just need to make sure it can be set to work for the functions I need.... or at least with not too much $£ on getting it customised

29. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I'm also doing a site that's location based therefore people won't want to be members of the main blog, but the more relevant subdirectory blog. It's all very well being able to add members to a particular blog, but is it practical to ask each one which blog they want?"

They sign up at the main *site*, thus making them members of the entire install. Just like when you sign up at wp.com.

What is it, exactly, that you want them to be able to do on the member blogs?

30. reality bomb
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Andrea I think your making the mistake of looking at this issue from a developers point of view rather than a subscribers.

Many people, including myself intend to build a service for people so they can themselves pass on a service. From a business point of view its like a store sending all its customers to their wholesalers.

This set up has worked for wordpress for a number of reasons one of which is their brand awearness. I remember back when I first subscribed to a WP blog years ago and I was very confused as to why I signed up to wordpress and not the site I wanted to. I'd be interested to see how many people bounced the sign up when this happened to them.

For me its just pure common sense that a blog owner should be able to subscibe their own members seperate from the main blog.

About this Topic