The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Edit Blog: Binary Settings (5 posts)

1. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm exploring to ensure that I correctly comprehend all the settings on the Edit Blog page. My impression is that all the following settings are binary, that is, that "0" means "off", "disabled", "deactivated", or the like, and "1" means "on", "enabled", "activated", or the like. Am I correct in believing that all of the following settings fit the foregoing description?

Users Can Register
    Use BalanceTags
    Use Smilies
    Require Name Email
    Comments Notify
    Default Pingback Flag
    Comment Moderation
    Moderation Notify
    Gzipcompression
    Hack File
    Advanced Edit
    Use Linksupdate
    Comment Whitelist
    Comment Registration
    Use Trackback
    Uploads Use Yearmonth Folders
    Blog Public
    Show Avatars
    Thumbnail Crop
    Enable App
    Enable Xmlrpc
    Close Comments For Old Posts
    Thread Comments
    Use Ssl
    Post Count
    Doing Cron

I'm not suggesting that I know what all of these settings are for. I'm merely asking, at this point, whether I am correct in believing that all of these are binary [0, 1] settings.

Thank you all kindly!
    Elchanan

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why not try going into the backend of the blog you are looking at, making a change and see how it relates to the options you've listed above?

Such as enabling or disabling the XMLRPC and Atom access.

Though, obviously post count above isn't a binary.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

As I said in the other thread, you don't really DO anything on this page unless you have to.

4. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, thank you. And ... same response ... would still like to know about the settings, regardless of where I may choose to set them.

Andrea, I have a somewhat different point of view here. I find the UI constructive, I would much prefer to work in the UI than in PHPmyAdmin. In the UI, I experience a sense of context that arises naturally, at least for me, from within a visual context. In contrast, although I CAN use PHPmyAdmin, I find it more foreign at a very visceral level. And ... I realize the opposite may be true for you and for others. Still, I appreciate the UI and would like to use it as fully as possible.

Hope this seems reasonable! :):)
    Elchanan

5. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi cafespain, thanks for responding. My initial thought about the post count was that this setting turned on/off some standard lookup and display of post counts. But apparently is IS the post count. Since I'm working in a new installation, that was not readily apparent. As you suggest, it would have becone so soon enough. :)

Best,
    Elchanan

About this Topic