The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Sign Ups not receiving Registration email (18 posts)

1. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using 2.7.1 MU + Buddypress -

I've enabled users to allow them to create user names and blogs.
    I've enabled Registration Notification.

These are the plug-ins I have installed:

Twitter for Wordpress 1.9.4
    Displays your public Twitter messages for all to read. Based on Pownce for Wordpress by Cavemonkey50.

Contact Form 7 1.10.0.1
    Just another contact form plugin. Simple but flexible.

Google Reader widget 0.1
    Adds a widget with the links to the stories shared or starred or of a certain tag of a google reader

Picture Album 0.001
    You can upload pictures to your album and post wire messages on pictures.

Limit Blogs per User 1.0

Pictur Ablum Upload Limit 1.001
    Description.

ShareThis 3.0.1
    Let your visitors share a post/page with others. Supports e-mail and posting to social bookmarking sites. Configuration options are here. Questions on configuration, etc.? Make sure to read the README.

Limit Login Attempts 1.3.1
    Limit rate of login attempts, including by way of cookies, for each IP.

Embedded Video 4.1
    Easy embedding of videos from various portals or local video files with corresponding link. Configure...

Unfiltered MU 1.1
    Adds the unfiltered_html capablitiy to Administrators and Editors so that content posted by users with those roles is not filtered by KSES; Embeds, Iframe, etc. are preserved. Note: If for any reason the unfiltered_html capability is ever lost, simply deactivate, and then reactivate this plugin.

Akismet 2.2.4
    Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not. You need a WordPress.com API key to use it. You can review the spam it catches under "Comments." To show off your Akismet stats just put <?php akismet_counter(); ?> in your template. See also: WP Stats plugin.

WPtouch iPhone Theme 1.8.9.1
    A plugin which reformats your site with a mobile theme when viewing with an Apple iPhone, Apple iPod touch, Google Android or Blackberry Storm touch mobile device. Set options for the theme by visiting the WPtouch Options admin panel.

WP-Polls Widget 2.40
    Adds a Poll Widget to display single or multiple polls from WP-Polls Plugin. You will need to activate WP-Polls first.

Wordpress BlockYou 1.0
    A plugin used to block IP addresses from accessing your blog, and then redirect them to a URL of your choice. Useful for RickRolling, etc.

bp-my-search 0.01
    Now You can search multiple words

Welcome Pack 1.2
    Provides default friend, default group and welcome message functionality to BuddyPress.

BuddyPress 1.0.1
    BuddyPress will add social networking features to a new or existing WordPress MU installation.

Register Plus (this plug-in doesn't even show up when registering) It's obviously not MU friendly. But, it isn't causing the trouble as I just installed it and the trouble was before this install. I installed this to try and solve the problem of not receiving emails.

----

No one is getting the registration emails with the link to click on to verify their email address - not even me. This used to work, and now it isn't. So, no one is able to sign up unless I "add new user" in the backend. Then they receive their emails. So, it can't be my host or those emails wouldn't go through. And I'm running out of my own email addresses to test this as it prevents the same email address from being used for a new user account.

Has anyone else run into similar issues, and if so, how did you solve it?

I would appreciate the help. I just launched my site and no one can join.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"This used to work, and now it isn't. "

Fidn out what changed. Stuff doesn't stop working by itself. Did you upgrade? Toss in a few new plugins?

'no one is able to sign up unless I "add new user" in the backend. Then they receive their emails."

Aha! Troubleshooting, awesome. :) So we know, like you said, the server will send mail. yay.

Did you check your error logs?

3. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply Andrea -

Checked my error logs and the only thing I found concerning "sign-ups" was this:

[Tue Jun 23 13:47:19 2009] [error] [client 81.193.32.201] File does not exist: /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-cbutton" name="signup-submit" id="signup-submit" value="Sign Up" onclick="location.href=

whatever that means!
    There were other errors, but nothing to do with what I'm concerned with on sign ups.

I did upgrade the buddypress plug-in, but no one else seems to be having these issues on the upgrade.

Should Askimet and Montyspam be Ok to use on MU +buddypress? Montyspam is the only other thing I've really tossed in there that's fairly major, but it kills the spam and I'm scared to turn it off. Have you heard of anyone with Monty issues and sign ups?

4. kunal17
    Posted 14 years ago #

All the registration emails from my WPMU+BP installation go directly to users spam boxes for some reason. Not sure if you have checked for that..but your problem might be different since you are also getting errors.

Wish I could figure out why the registration emails are being marked as spam :(

5. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

kunal - a-ha. maybe that might be my problem. I'll ask people to check their spam. although i don't really know if this is the issue completely. my coding intuition thinks there are other things at work here. especially since all signups use to work. i think something went sideways at some juncture but I just can't find what the issue is after 2 complete days of trouble shooting.

does anyone know where the page is in the root that sends the sign ups to people? I want to open it up and look at the code.

are there separate sign up pages for WPMU and buddypress? i.e. does buddypress change something on the sign up with WPMU to mold it to work with buddypress? i just don't know where to look to compare code. if indeed this is the case.

6. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 501

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 502

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 503

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 507

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 508

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/header.php:3) in /home/mysite_org/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-messages.php on line 509

OK - so i did a test and set my junk mail filtering not to delete my junk mail until i look at it. but the site finally sent me an email, although my junk filters didn't mark it as junk, which they normally would.

I selected to create a user name AND a blog and when it spit me to the page to crop my avatar I got the errors listed above. I got the same errors when I signed up for ONLY a user name.

So, I wonder if these errors are preventing others from seeing the page. The verification link took an awful long time to work.

Some people are complaining that they are seeing only a blank page, but I wonder if they are getting impatient for the page to load and give up. hmm.

Suggestions? Why does it have to "modify header information?"

And one more minor tick - WordPress isn't sending me Registration notifications when people sign up all the time. Sometimes it does though. I just created two accounts to test this out, and one notification came in with the IP address and all that. But, the other notification is missing. Nada. Nothing. Totally bizarre! Is it possible that software can be fickle?

7. kunal17
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think for buddypress, the register.php file calls the signup code from the basic wpmu install. I would also like to know the files that contain the registration code for the 1 & 2nd pages of registration (2nd page being the one that asks users to check their email for the activation link) so that I can put alerts for the users to check their spam email.

8. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

kunal - there was definitely something I was playing with at one point... a .pot file. I think you have to find the .pot file inside the theme you use.

BUT... yet again there was a malfunction when I tried to change the text on the 1 & 2nd pages and every other general instruction language that's standard for wordpress. I changed the text and reuploaded the file, but it didn't change a thing. The standard instructions were still being used. So I wonder if it's a .pot file inside of BuddyPress that is taking charge of everything instead of using the WPMU file in the theme you choose.

So, that's as far as I can help you with that.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"when it spit me to the page to crop my avatar I got the errors listed above. "

Okay, tons of stuff going on here....

Errors with croping usually mean javascript conflicts.

Headers can't be modified - that error * usually* means whitespace at the end of the file. In this case, go look at header.php on the athalupa theme.

If your email are landing in the spam folders, you may have to do a reverse DNS record.

Double-check with your hosts to make sure they allow emails being sent from "nobody".

10. kunal17
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Andrea,

Thanks for your advice about the spam emails..could you explain in some more detail what I should ask my host? I noticed that the emails being sent out show a different email address in the 'emailed by' detail.

Could that be the reason?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, that could be it. :)

Even if you copy-pasted my last line, they should understand it. ;P

in short, the program you installed sends out automated emails. Is your account set up to allow emails form the user nobody?

12. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea - you're awesome, thank you!

Just got word from my host that if the emails are bounced back from the sign ups email address, that I would never know or receive them because the sender is "nobody." So, there's no way of keeping track. My host will send the emails no problem, but several email services will not accept something that comes from a sender called "nobody."

How do I change the wordpress code to put in my own email address as the sender instead of "nobody?" If I could fix that I think I would be able to fix this problem. WordPress should put something in "Options" so that you can change this me thinks. Especially since none of the email providers will accept the verification email. Bummer. :(

OK - sorry to confuse you about the javascript. Not having issues with that.

NOW... On to look at the header.php.

Hugs! thank you!!

13. kunal17
    Posted 14 years ago #

ZKWC, looks like our issues are similar after all. I guess my host automatically sends the email out from their email address (not from nobody) but the effect is the same at the receivers end (it goes to their spam). Ill look around to see if that email address can be specifically defined anywhere.

Thanks for your help Andrea.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"several email services will not accept something that comes from a sender called "nobody.""

To clarify: the email don't come from the *sender* nobody, the nobody user on the webserver sends them. They will appear to come from wordpress.

There are users on the web server like root, nobody, and whatever your cpanel login user is. On some setups, the server is set to disallow mail coming from a non-specified user (which usually is "nobody"). You don't see it in the address, it's the process on the server itself.

15. kunal17
    Posted 14 years ago #

Does anyone know if this plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mail-from/

will help the above situation? Thanks.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try the SMTP mailer plugin to see if that helps.

17. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Woo!

I installed WP-Mail-SMTP Plug-in and everything works now.

Andrea - thank you for the awesome help.

18. solodave99
    Posted 14 years ago #

It did not fix the issues for me,

any help would be appreciated.

About this Topic