The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

All users to become Site Admin for their own site - Possible ? (8 posts)

1. dino345
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how to get the Site Admin menu for new users who registered from parent blog

Normally menu starts from posts, media, links, pages, comments & so on..

I am just trying to achieve a simple yet complicated task it seems, as I want these users to be site admin to their own subdomain site and not interfere with the main site settings. So that they can enable or disable features for themselves inside Admin / features.

Does anyone know how to achieve this ?

regards,
    dino

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, blogs.mu does something similar. Unfortunately it isn't a simple thing to accomplish whilst maintaining the security of the other peoples blogs/sites, so unless you are very familiar with the internal workings of WPMU I would advise caution when giving other users "Site admin" permissions.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"as I want these users to be site admin to their own subdomain site and not interfere with the main site"

Well, by default, users are *admins* of their own sub-blogs. they can;t do anythign on any other blogs and the CAN control their own blog settings.

The Site Admin controls the whole entire site, including everyone else's blogs.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

you are confusing things here.

site admin = the admin who can modify/edit the whole wpmu installation

each user who signs up for a blog, is automatically admin for his own blog and can change all settings he likes for his own blog which is a subdomain if that is the way you set up your wpmu installation.

It seems you want new users to be automatically admins, which they are, so what is it that you want?

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

lol, andrea you beat me by 36 seconds!

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

:D lol is right.

7. dino345
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, blogs.mu does something similar.

You got that right "cafespain" - I have just seen the supporter extension, but em still not sure if its going to make Blog admins the actual site admins, this is happening in Blogs.mu as cafespain said, I want something exactly same as in blogs.mu where Blog admins have the additional menu as follows :

Site Admin --> (Missing)
    Admin
    Blogs
    Themes
    Options
    Admin message (/Missing)

Thanx a lot Andrea, Ovidiu & cafespain for your quick response..
    regards,
    dino
    Some help will be appreciated..

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So instead of setting them up as sub-blogs, what you want is sub-sites.

Go find a multi-site plugin for WPMU.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by dino345
  • Latest reply from andrea_r