The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Seperate themes for different blogs (12 posts)

1. digiguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi

I am trying to give each blog a different theme and I cannot understand how to do this. I enabled the editor, but editing edits the default theme which effects the entire site. With no obvious way to add seperate themes to each individual blogs, or even just add seperate templates and stylesheets, I do not know how to resolve this. Please could someone let me know how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance :)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It depends. If you add more themes, and enable them under Site Admin -> Themes, then the user can choose between available themes under the Appearance menu.

If you're trying to do different variations of essentially the same theme, you have to either make copies of that theme, use a theme with a theme options page accessible from admin, or try this hand-dandy plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-options/

3. digiguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've installed this plugin, but I don;t see how this would actually change themes for each blog. It's not obviously clear to me how to approach costomising each site. I would like the same theme throughout most of the blogs, but want different background images, headers, etc.

When you say duplicate a theme, what is the process. Would I simply copy, rename and upload that theme onto my server and repeat the process for each blog. Then go into each folder and change style sheets accordingly? How do I specify which theme each blog uses?

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmm, coincidently I've just updated the Userthemes Revisted plugin for WPMU2.8.1 which I use exactly as you describe. I have 1 favorite theme in the /themes/ folder. Each sub-blog then can be enabled to copy the favorite theme to their blogs/id/themes folder and tweak it slightly without affecting the original theme.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Or that. :D

6. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader, thank you very much for the plugin. Makes it so much easier to spread one customized theme throughout WPMU used as CMS with unlimited blogs using same look. merci.

7. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not sure if I'm just repeating the same information as the others, but I think not.

I have over 1000 themes that I use and if one of my customers wants a theme that looks like X but wants me to change the header, background or whatever, what I do is this.

1. Copy the theme folder from /yoursite.com/wp-content/themes and give it another name.
    2. Download the images that you want to edit, header, background, etc... from the /yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/yourtheme/images folder to your pc.
    3. Open your image editor, Jasc, Photoshop, Xara or whatever you use, and import either background or header files from folder you just copied.
    4. Edit the header or background, making sure you do not resize the images.
    5. Then save the images overwriting the original files.
    6. Upload the new images via FTP to overwrite the original /yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/yourtheme/images files on your server.
    7. Now go to your administrative dashboard, click the "Site Admin" drop down and select "blogs" and then select "backend" for the blog you want to add the new theme to.
    8. Once at the new blog dashboard again click in the "Site Admin" dropdown and this time select "themes".
    9. Activate the newly created theme.
    10. Once activated, go to "Appearance" and select "themes".
    11. Activate the new theme that you just created. Voila.

Keep in mind that there are 2 different types of theme activations:

1. There is the "Site Admin" theme activation, without activating this you will not be able to activate the actual theme for your blog.
    2. There is the "Appearance" theme activation. This is where the theme is activated to be live on the web.

If you want a certain theme to be activated for ALL of your blogs, then activate the theme from your main blog like http://mysite.com, not from your customers sub-domain blog like http://mysite.com/customer-blog or http://customer-blog.mysite.com.

If you want to activate a theme for ONLY a certain blog, then make sure you sign in and only activate it while in the dashboard of that particular blog. This will make is so that it is not available for EVERYONE, and will only be available for use with that particular blog.

I've never really been good at directions, so I hope I didn't confuse anyone, if someone would care to clean up my directions then please feel free to ;)

Hope this helps.

Courtney Bostdorff

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Actually, if you activate a theme under Site Admin -> Themes, it *does* show up on the Appearance menu for every blog.

To restrict a theme to just one blog being able to use it, you have to go to Site Admin -> Blogs. Edit the blog in question, and checkboxes for disabled themes will show up on the right hand side. Select the one you want, then click the button.

There's also a couple of CSS edit/override plugins out there that are blog specific, so you don't have to keep copying themes over.

Tons of different ways to do that same thing.

9. selfmade64856
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea.....I stand corrected. I didn't realize that our programmer had configured it the way I stated above, but now on a fresh install, I see that you are correct ;) Kudos!

Is there any way to edit that post?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

:D It happens.

Editing posts here in the forum is only allowable up to about an hour after you post it.

11. elemsee
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, here I go.

dsader's plugin sounds like the perfect solution to what I'm trying to do: namely, have one base template for the main blog, which will be tweaked exactly how we want it. Then, make that theme available to the user blogs (which only admins can create) without having to redo all the customization. Also, ideally, the user blogs can edit the header to something suitable for their content. (e.g. we're going to have a cookbook, etc.)

Here's my problem. And keep in mind, I'm a relative noob.

I can't decipher from the instructions on the Userthemes Management screen precisely what I'm meant to do.

"Hack theme-editor.php to restrict allowed files to just the stylesheets (still no fitering any included evildoing code though):"

// $allowed_files = array_merge($themes[$theme]['Stylesheet Files'], $themes[$theme]['Template Files']);
    $allowed_files = $themes[$theme]['Stylesheet Files'];

Does this mean I'm meant to add that to theme-editor.php in the root themese folder? or is it to replace some other piece of code?

In the "MU Userthemes Manager" on the main blog admin, I've "hidden original themes menu" and enabled one of our user blogs.

In the "Userthemes" area on the user blog, the Current System Theme is displayed and declared active.

That is followed by two areas: No Userthemes and 2 System themes (I activated a second one, just to compare what would happen)

What do I need to do from here to have the user blog adopt the look of the primary? Will it reflect any changes I make to the primary or is it better to wait until I've completely tweaked out the main theme?

I'm a quick learner (I think), so any assistance that can be pointed out would be great. (I realize my question is about a plugin and not MU itself, however the plugin does not have a forum that I can find).

thank you in advance very very much.

12. amskape
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi pals,
    I successFully install Wordpress MU in my localhost system. Friends,I need to give Each Blog to Different Theme. If I have 10 blogs there,
    I need to give 10 different themes for same. Is that Possible in Wordpress MU ... I am still searching a solution , on that time I found a plugin named "Theme options". Is that enough for same, I need to workout
    and I have another doubt also regarding installation of this Plugin.
    i can View two folders mu-plugin and plugin. In which folder i place the
    plugin files.... Please Give A solution as Early as Possible....

You can contact me : anes.pa@amskape.com also...

With Great Regards
    Anes P.A

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by digiguru
  • Latest reply from amskape