The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Mapping Help (8 posts)

1. rtruman
    Posted 14 years ago #

Im very new to MU, but I got it installed without issue and have a question. Im moving to wordpress from dotnetnuke and what I have is 3 domains all pointed to the same ip. I want to set up different wp blogs and have those domains point to their particular blogs.

I installed the domain mapping plugin, this may do what I want, but Im not sure how it needs to be configured. Anyway any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Truman

2. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

As the site admin, you will need to *only* enter the ip address of your server, then in will need to create "A" records for the domains.

Lastly, you will need to go to the backend of the blogs in question, and enter the domain name you want mapped to that blog.

3. rtruman
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, I will give it a try. I am assuming your talking about the domain mapping plugin when entering the ip address.

4. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

That is correct.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"then in will need to create "A" records for the domains."

That works if the WPMU is the main install on that IP. :)

If not, you can also park or mirror or map the new domain to the WPMU domain, depending on what your control panel calls it in the backend.

6. rtruman
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, let me tell you what I got. Im on a windows server. The primary domain is robtruman.com, I have 3 other domainnames mirroring to this domain. So their is only one dedicated ip address. I have mu set up for subdomains. Mu is installed in the root. So when I add a blog (ex. blog.robtruman.com) I want to be able to assign one of the mirrored domain names to point to this blog.

If Im missing anything here let me know.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome.

So, you have the domain mapping plugin, right?

Add the domain to that.

Then mirror/park the domain via the A record to the MU ip address. You may have to add records on the server side to accpet requests for those domains.

you can do those steps in either order.

8. rtruman
    Posted 14 years ago #

If the domain is already mirroring the mu site do I still need to do the A record? All of these domains are hosted with the same host and they all point to the same ip address.

Also dose it matter if I put mu in the root or can it be in a sub-folder? Currently it is in a sub-folder, but Im thinking about moving it to the root as its a new install and not much there yet.

About this Topic