The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

2.8.1 upgrade: blogs show, login shows, but no backend (5 posts)

  1. pumpkinslayer
    Member
    Posted 13 years ago #

    I upgraded to 2.8.1

    The blogs show fine (ublog2.com & pumpkinslayer.com both running on same code), site/wp-login.php shows fine, but after login, all pages in the backend are blank.

    No PHP errors, just totally blank pages.

    I've disabled all mu-plugins and normal plugins, but still nothing. I'm perplexed.

    Any suggestions on what to try next?

  2. jamescollins
    Member
    Posted 13 years ago #

    Do you have access to your PHP/Apache error logs?

    I've seen the same problem (blank dashboard). See http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/1053 for a possible solution.

  3. pumpkinslayer
    Member
    Posted 13 years ago #

    Thanks James

    It ended up not being any of these (although I did uninstall all themes and plugins before discovering my particular problem).

    It was actually a database issue.

    At some point in the past, probably quite a while ago, certain entries in the database that were escaped, became non-escaped, and that never made a difference until now.

    I run multiple sites off a single install, so I needed to update these escaped values, which included the list of site_admins. I found that only on more recently created sites could I login, which made me suspect this.

    Anyways, the effected values in the "wp_sitemeta" table are the meta_values "site_admin", "menu_items" and "allowed_themes"

    This probably only applies to old installs, pursue other methods to fix blank admin area first (mine's been around since there was still the wp-inst dir), fresh ones shouldn't have this problem.

    Step-by-step to update these....

    In PHPAdmin....

    Use a search like this (replace ' with ` in the following):

    SELECT * FROM 'wp_sitemeta' WHERE ('wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 2 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 3 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 4 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 5 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 6 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 7 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 8 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 9 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 10 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 11 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 12 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 13 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 14 OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'site_id' = 17) AND ('wp_sitemeta'.'meta_key' = "allowed_themes" OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'meta_key' = "menu_items" OR 'wp_sitemeta'.'meta_key' = "site_admins") ORDER BY 'wp_sitemeta'.'meta_key' ASC LIMIT 0,1000
    which will bring up all the necessary values...

    everything that looks like this:
    a:1:{s:7:\"plugins\";s:1:\"1\";}
    should change to this:
    a:1:{s:7:"plugins";s:1:"1";}

    everything like this:
    a:1:{i:0;s:5:\"admin\";}
    should look like this:
    a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";}

    ie. remove all the slashes

    Save your settings and you should now be able to login at all your sites.

  4. mdvaldosta
    Member
    Posted 13 years ago #

    You are the man pumpkinslayer... I was pulling my hair out and this solved my wp-admin redirect problem. I've updated the tags so it might help others as well with older installs.

  5. anabelle
    Member
    Posted 13 years ago #

    I can confirm, this was my problem.

    I manually deleted the scaping slashes form site_admins in the database and now they are correctly detected again.

    My install is in fact really old.

About this Topic

  • Started 13 years ago by pumpkinslayer
  • Latest reply from anabelle