The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Do not have choice for PHP Template? (22 posts)

1. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

I use to have my forums in my own created php template with no sidebars so forum was full width of page, it is now gone, when i go to template choice under quick edit under pages, no choice is there except Default Template, can someone tell me why or help me to get a choice back to choose my own template for forums!

MU 2.8

2. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Where can i edit in the Database the template used for a certain page?

3. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anybody here to chime in?

4. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

What kind of theme are you using? Because template used for a certain page is usually in the theme folder of wp-content in your server, not database. There are other themes like Thesis which dump info in Database though. So what theme are you using?

5. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Im using playmaker and it worked fine yesterday, then when i changed slug for forums to forum it does not give me choice now, i changed it back of course and still no choice for page template?

6. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Need your help Andrea Or Mark??

7. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

After changing slugs, did you run Settings > Permalinks again?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

And you're sure the theme in question has a page template (go check).

9. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Of course, i already changed the page template to reflect my needs in the forum, but it obviously changed all my pages and i dont like this, but it was the only way it would let me!

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

To be able to pick a *specific* page template, there has to be another one there with a special name (any name). Then the drop-down shows up.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Page_Templates

11. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Looks like you got your forum back. Good for you. Curious, did you have to go to playmaker's theme options page to reset something or did you have to recreate the page template for your simplepress forum?

12. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Obviously i have another page template inside the theme folder Andrea, just to let you know, i do have it there, and i cannot see it in backend to switch to it!

Mercime, i had to change my page template for all pages for page.php that came with theme, i have never before experienced this problem, i have always been able to select which theme template to use for which pages of my choosing, so it does not show up when i make a page template:
    Here is my Template-

<?php

/*

Template Name: hawksforum.php

*/

?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="schema">

<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<h1 class="singletitle"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>

<center><?php if(function_exists('mba_display_zone')) mba_display_zone(10);?></center>

<div style="clear:both;"></div>

<?php the_content(__('Read more'));?>

<div style="clear:both;"></div>

<?php endwhile; else: ?>

<p><?php _e('Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.'); ?></p><?php endif; ?>

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

It works on all the other Blogs!

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just checking. :D

There have been some sporadic reports of the page template menu not showing up when they are clearly there - even happened to me once. Now I have to hunt down the threads or whatever the issue was.

14. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have read & looked high and low, still no answer on my end, still does not show even after 2.8.2 update.

15. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well Andrea or anyone else, any ideas on how to fix my dilemma?

16. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyone else, here. One of my "fixes" when either dropdown for authors or page templates does not work in write panel on rare occasions is to change theme to WordPress Default Theme. Clear cookies/cache. Then go back to your Playmaker theme. This method somehow "jogs" dropdowns back to shape.
    Caveat: Thing is, Playmaker is a more complex theme and your theme's functions.php which generates your theme's admin options panel (where you can add URL to your Forums also) and probably other functions has obfuscated code so I do not know the effect of that "jogging".
    Also, although settings/setups of widgets for different dynamic areas stay on for me when I revert back to original theme after jogging, I have always taken a screenshot or list down all the widgets used for different dynamic areas in Widget panel for good measure, just in case ...

17. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

P.S. Another fix - check for plugin conflict. Did you add/upgrade any plugin around the time you changed the Forum/s slug?

18. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

.. or add a folder to the server called the same? :D

19. seahawknationblog
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay here is what i did to fix my problem.
    First ftp'd hawksforum.php to wordpress classic theme, then i activated classic theme, then i went to my pages and edited it as it now had the Template in there where as it did not before on my original theme.
    I then proceeded to change the theme back to my default theme and presto it was still there and it worked, damn what a pain in the arse!!

20. copypress
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks a lot seahawknationblog... you saved the day for me :)

21. spstieng
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just ran into the exact same problem.
    There is no template selector on the right side (where is should be).

I've created a template called articliList.php and have added the following code at the top of the page:

<?php
    /*
      Template Name: Article list 

*/
    ?>

I have total of 3 sites on my wpmu (including my main site), and I'm able to change tempaltes on 2 out of 3.

My "fix" was to change theme to one of the default themes, and then change it back again (to the theme I want to use). An voila.

Looks like there is a bug here somewhere :)

22. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, this is a known issue with WordPress and custom templates. It's not unique to WPMU.

Two seconds with Google and "Custom template not showing" would have answered it. Notice how you don't even need "wordpress" in the google query? It's that common of an issue.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by seahawknationblog
  • Latest reply from kgraeme