The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

After WPMu 2.8.1 upgrade can't put pre-existing tags in a blog on new post (22 posts)

1. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ttitle says it all, I am running WPMu 2.8.1, BuddyPress 1.0.3, and after the upgrade I haven't been able to add pre-xsiting tags to new blog posts, whereas I can add new tags that have yet to be used on that blog---even if they are used in a different blog on the same WPMu install.

The new tags just won't take, and I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue.

2. James609
    Posted 14 years ago #

Looks like it might be related to the problem I'm having with inserting images into posts.(my post in this forum "Add An Image" opens in full page not dialog in 2.8.2 and 2.8.1)
    Can you insert images into a post?

3. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

James609,
    As far as I can tell I am not having an issues with the images, just the tags.

4. James609
    Posted 14 years ago #

How about adding a new category using the "+ Add New Category" link in the post editing screen?

5. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

That works fine as well, it's just the tags as far as I can see.

6. James609
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for the replies. I'll let you know if I come across anything that might help

7. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm seeing this too - I can't add new tags, nor pre-existing tags to posts. WordPress MU 2.8.1

categories work fine, but tags seem to just disappear after publishing and updating. Image uploads also work.

Any guesses on what borked tagging? I hadn't noticed it was broken until I saw @jimgroom's post and tested it. Oops :-)

8. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

@dnorman

Thanks for the support, and it's about freaking time!

Also, for what it is worth, I took from the WPMu trunk this morning to try and fix it, which suggests I am on WPMu 2.8.2

9. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its all working fine under 2.8.2. I can add new tags, select from previous ones etc.

BTW - what did you mean "its about freaking time"? Its about 2 hours since you started this thread.

11. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

@steve jim was likely kidding - he's a friend of mine.

12. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just upgraded to WP 2.8.2 to rule any fixed bugs out.

Looking at my error log, I get this:

WordPress database error: [Duplicate entry 'testing' for key 2]\nINSERT INTO wp_3_terms (term_id,name,slug,term_group) VALUES ('1518','testing','testing','0')\n

When trying to add an existing tag - in this case "testing" - it looks like it's being inserted as a new tag (and borking because "testing" already exists) rather than just re-using the existing tag record.

New tags are working fine - they must have been working before as well, but I was trying to add both a new and pre-existing tag at the same time before, and that failed. Now, adding just a new tag works, and adding anything with an existing tag fails.

13. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

@SteveAtty,

Thanks for testing it. Also, sorry for the confusion, I was kidding with D'Arcy, and the forums are always responsive. I just like to bust dnorman's chops :)

14. James609
    Posted 14 years ago #

My problems turned out to be a customization that I have in wp-admin/admin-header.php. When I use the default everything works. Hope your solution is as easy :)

15. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've tried overwriting all WP files with whatever comes stock in WPMU 2.8.2 (including wp-admin/admin-header.php) but no joy yet.

16. Farms
    Posted 14 years ago #

@jimgroom u cannot help yourself ;)

17. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Farms
    Oh wait, you're here! I'm in deep trouble now.

18. Farms
    Posted 14 years ago #

Lol, you wanna take it outside ;)

19. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

Update:

While this isn't exactly resolved, it looks to be a multi-db issue, which D'Arcy has indefatigably tracked down. You can follow the progress in this thread here (although you may need to be a wpmudev member).

20. nivosh
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have the same issue.

I run wordpress 2.8.5 and I cant put new tags in my posts.
    This is a serious problem!

Please help.

21. nivosh
    Posted 14 years ago #

I tried disabling all the plugins and revert to the default theme, and still can't put new tags on posts.

22. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nivosh,

Try the wordpress forums at wordpress.org/support. Your in the WordPress MU forums which is only up to version 2.8.4a.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jimgroom
  • Latest reply from tmoorewp