The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmu multi domain mapping plugin (15 posts)

1. mailmonster
    Posted 14 years ago #

hello does anybody know how to bring the multi domain mapping plugin to work with wpmu 2.8.2? When I map a domain to a blog I can no longer access the admin backend. It works again after deleting the entry in the wpmu domain mapping table
    thanks for any tips in advance
    best regards
    christian

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Which domain mapping plugin are you using?

3. mailmonster
    Posted 14 years ago #

the WordPress MU Domain Mapping Plugin from Donncha O Caoimh

I am not limited to this tool. If there is another easy solution for mapping several domain names to different subblogs of one wpmu install then thats also ok for me

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can you outline the steps you take when you map a domain? :)

5. mailmonster
    Posted 14 years ago #

sure I can

What I have:
    One webspace with 3 different domains
    Lets say domain1.com, domain2.com and domain3.com

Step 1: I setup wpmu (2.8.2) and use domain1.com during the installation process. I use the recommended subdomain install
    The result is that I have one wpmu default blog reachable in my case
    under http://domain1.com/wpmu/

Step 2: I create a second blog lets simple say test which as a result is reachable under http://test.domain1.com/wpmu
    I ensure that this works by creating an entry on my webspace that redirects all subdomains of domain1.com to my wpmu folder in my webspace "*.domain1.com ==> /wpmu/"
    The second blog is also perfectly reachable. Both the frontend and the
    admin backend

Step3: I install donchas plugin, activate it sitewide and go to the backend of the subblog test.domain1.com Then I create a mapping by entering the ip address of my webspace and the name domain2.com
    To ensure that this works I also have the same dns entry set so that
    all instances of domain2.com are also forwarded to the wpmu folder

What I would expect now is that I can reach the "formerly test.domain1.com" subblog by entering the url http://www.domain2.com/wpmu/
    This is the case - so far so good - but in the main blog part I get only a 404 error page cannot be displayed.
    When I try to enter the backend by typing http://www.domain2.com/wpmu/wp-admin
    I only get a 404 page cannot be displayed error.

The only thing I can do now is to go into the wp_domain_mapping table and delete the mapping for the subblog.
    After that backend and frontend works fine again

Do I do something wrong?
    Is there another plugin?
    thanks for any help in advance
    kind regard
    christian

However this is not the case. As soon as I add the domain http://www.domain2.com the backend of the subblog is no longer reachable (404 error the page can not be displayed"

6. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

To ensure that this works I also have the same dns entry set so that all instances of domain2.com are also forwarded to the wpmu folder

This may be where you are having trouble. By 'DNS entry' are you referring to an apache virtual host? Since you can only direct actual DNS to an IP or FQDN depending on the type of record you are creating.

If it is a second virtual host that's set up to handle the domain name, you'll want to remove that. You need the default virtual host file of Apache to point at your primary domain name only, and the domain mapping plugin will handle the rest.

I'm running 2.8.2 as well, and am running multiple domains off the domain mapping plugin with absolutely no problems at all, so I know it's possible. :)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's why I asked what steps they did, to track it down. :) save guessing.

But yes, the domain does have to be diverted to the right spot on the server. some places call it parking, some mirroring, some call it other things.

"What I would expect now is that I can reach the "formerly test.domain1.com" subblog by entering the url http://www.domain2.com/wpmu/"

Uh, no. If you map a domain, it's just the domain as in domain2.com. No folder after that. The full domain you map replaces everything, *including* the folder MU is in. Which is ultimately the problem - domain mapping won't work when MU is installed in a folder like that, since the htaccess has that in the base.

If you installed WPMU in the root, it'll work.

8. mailmonster
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed wpmu again in the root folder and it worked. That did the trick. I remember to have read something about that it does not work with subfolder install but I thought this meant the installation of wpmu (the choice between subdomains and subfolder) and not the wpmu files themselves
    Many thanks.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It actually applies to both. :)

10. tinus2
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmm, i'm using wp mu 2.9.1.1, buddypress 1.1 and donncha's mapping plugin. when i add the blog with a second-level domain, the backend is not reachable, however when i change it back to a third-level domain off of the primary blog, i am able to log onto the dashboard - any suggestions?

11. tinus2
    Posted 14 years ago #

got it to work, though don't know how. i've set up the whole install once again from the ground up and it did finally work!

12. grrlfriend
    Posted 14 years ago #

<Hitting head against wall> I'm so close but it isn't *quite* working for me. Encountering somewhat similar problem as original post but *only* if I set the desired URL to be the primary domain.

Specifically, in WP MU I set up base site (site.com) and added 2 subdomain sites from there that then default via WPMU as one.site.com and two.site.com. With the DM plugin, I set one.site.com to one.com and two.site.com to two.com. So far so good.

If I set either one.com or two.com as primary domain (via Tools>Domain Mapping after selecting Dashboard for this site), go to browser and enter one.com (or two.com) the mapping is correct. HOWEVER, admin points ONLY to the web site after that - no admin is accessible at all for that site even if I go through my base site (site.com) admin page and go to the subdomain's dashboard. In order to change it so I can use admin backend I have to go to the domain_mapping table and change it back to 0 which then of course changes the primary domain for that site back to one.site.com (or two.site.com) which defeats the purpose entirely. Leaving one.site.com (or two.site.com) as primary works properly so the DNS stuff seems to be working fine...

I haven't set site.com up through Domain Mapping because then it totally hoses everything up when I set *any* subdomain as primary domain. I've read and followed all the directions I could find but obviously am doing something wrong.

Hopefully this makes some sense because I really like WPMU and the DM plugin overall. I have a whole bunch of sites to set up and don't want to resort to individual installations of WP. Any and all help will be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks in advance!

13. grrlfriend
    Posted 14 years ago #

Crud. Just saw another thread addressing this very issue. Sorry.

14. RKM
    Posted 14 years ago #

Could you paste a link to the thread you found, that addresses this?

I haven't been able to find that same thread and I'm guessing it would be helpful to mention for others stumbling on this post.

Thank you in advance, RKM.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The part most people seem to miss:

- wehn you are mapping a blog to a new domain, you have to be logged in to the backend of that blog.

Not from the main blog.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by mailmonster
  • Latest reply from andrea_r