The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU Hosting in Northern europe (12 posts)

1. sjefen6
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have been looking all over the web for a cheap hosting provider that have 24/7 live chat (even just for simple stuff), able to host 10 blogs with wpmu, handle a slashdot/digg once every decade, and support the dns mojo requiered for putting blogs in subdomains (not manually!).

My current provider one.com seems to handle the load somewhat, but doesn't support having blogs in subdomains.

I tried domeneshop.no (domainnameshop.com), but they did not support wildcards, so I had to add them manually.

Hostigator looks grate, but is located in Texas so the ping time is over 250 ms for me, and that would drive me mad!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Really, the only thing you need to ask of them is the wildcard subdomains - the rest (digg prevention) should be able to be handled via wp-super-cache.

3. sjefen6
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am unable to find hosting providers in europe (except vps and dedicated) that support dns wildcards.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Then you may have to go with a VPS.

5. bazmort
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just tested wildcards at domeneshop.no and they work fine today. Maybe a new feature?

6. eddy2001
    Posted 14 years ago #

250ms is 1/4 of a second.

Less than a blink - get over it :).

7. Mpalmer22
    Posted 14 years ago #

FWIW, I have hostgator, and I am having LOTS of trouble getting WPMU installed.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you ask support for help?

9. Ehaanaes
    Posted 14 years ago #

https://host1.no would be able to help you with this :)

10. ohlers
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi sjefen6

did you have any luck yet?

Im looking for the same, kinda, but I am totally new at this, have newer even tried wordpress, or blogging, but I would like to start up a blogging community, where people can share their passionate creations. (www.a-passionate-creation.org)

I realize that wordpress MU probably is the right place to start, but I expect to need a lot of baby newbie-help.

anyways.. hosting this monster?

what about one.com, with 25 Gigs of serverspace? isnt that enough?
    if every participant agrees to keep it low&compressed, it could be enough for, say 2500 participants?

what are the issues using one.com for this ?

my stuff can be seen at http://www.ohlers.com/indexhibit/
    but this blog-community should be for a wide range of passionate, creative people sharing their wildest, passionate dreams, experiences and ideas :-)

help me out?

thanks alot everyone :-)

Hans Henrik Øhlers

11. ohlers
    Posted 14 years ago #

... what does "having blogs in subdomains" mean?

12. onakosano
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hans Henrik: did you find someone that fitted you as a host?

im now checking out the possibility til change from one.com(.no) hosting to someone else since they do not support subdomains(apache).

host1.no seemed really, "non professional"... anywhere else i can go with my domain?.

F

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by sjefen6
  • Latest reply from onakosano