The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Put words in other people's mouths (Change author) (5 posts)

1. Driftless1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a way to get the "Post Author" dropdown to appear in the Post Edit and/or quick edit menu even when there is only 1 Author on the blog?

For example, when I go in as Site Admin, I sometimes need to make changes to a post, but when I do, it changes the author to Admin, and since there is only one user registered, I can't change that back to the original Author.

Any thoughts? Barring that, what would be the simplest way to add Admin as a an author on all blogs?

2. gnetworkau
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Driftless1,
    I'm new here and looking for my own solutions to article author customisations, gravatar, etc. but I can share with you a solution for assign authorship of posts, that worked for me.
    Solution Source:
    http://welcome.totheinter.net/2008/10/04/how-to-migrate-from-wordpress-to-wordpress-mu/
    The article shows how to migrate wp to mu, and the relevant section for you appears below:

To assign all the posts to the admin MU user, run the following command in your MU database (substitute {ID} for the blog ID):

UPDATE wp_{ID}_posts SET post_author = 1

That's it!
    Just login to phpMyAdmin, select your database, click SQL Tab at top, then enter the above command there, hit GO!

eg: For Blog2 assigned to User1(Admin), enter like so:

UPDATE wp_2_posts SET post_author = 1

Repeat the same for blog3, blog4, etc.

3. Driftless1
    Posted 14 years ago #

gnetworkau -

Thanks for the beta. I'm looking for something a little more fine-grained, but that might help others who are searching.

Welcome to WPMU, and thanks for stepping up to the boards.

Good luck.

4. Driftless1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Found a temporary workaround. WARNING Core-Hack to follow:

Edit wp-admin/edit-form-advanced.php at line 504:

Change
    if ( $authors && count( $authors ) > 1 ) :
    to
    if ( $authors && count( $authors ) > 0 ) :

So even if there is only 1 author assigned, it will still give the drop down menu. Can't figure out where to butcher the .js that runs the quick edit though...

5. lloydbudd
    Posted 14 years ago #

This issue is reported in the bug trac:
    #1093 Post/page author dropdown field not displayed on edit post/page screen for site admins
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/1093

Currently, no patches, though a possibly solution is suggested.

WARNING an edit or quick edit by the site_admin will result in them being assigned as the author of the post.

WORKAROUND (lame)

Add the site_admin as an admin of the blog.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Driftless1
  • Latest reply from lloydbudd