The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

mu wordpress version and upgrade (27 posts)

1. fnapo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi all,

I'd like to know where to get my MU exact version and how do I know i have to upgrade to cover security holes, does it follow the normal WP tree?

thanks

2. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I find the easiest way is to look at the Changelog.txt file in the root directory. Then I compare that to the one here:
    http://blogs.linux.ie/download/wpmu/Changelog.txt

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wonder if we can convince Donncha to add that into the /wp-includes/version.php file along with the db version that's already in there.

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Good idea! Can you open a Trac ticket on this issue and I'll get to it on Monday!

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How does one create an account over there anyway? I don't see a Register link.

6. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can login using your same username and password that you use on these forums. The option to create a new ticket shows up after you're logged in.

7. ellycramer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi there, I upgraded to the wordpressmu-1_0-rc1 when it came out. At that time I did not see the option that allows admins to register users in lieu of them registering themselves. I just upgraded to rc2 to see if this functionality came back and I still don't see it.

Am I blind or did this disappear?

Thanks!

8. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

ellycramer,

I've had a site up since October and I don't remember ever being able to register users as the admin. There was the invite system, which disappeared a while ago, and self registration. People have wanted to be able to register users from the admin tools but I don't know that anything has ever been done about that.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There appears to be an open ticket on the idea that wasn't there earlier yesterday when I submitted all of my tickets. Looks like someone is listening to you. :)

10. ellycramer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Re: Adding users. I think I got confused with standalone Wordpress. I checked back in my earlier version of WPMU and that feature was not there. Thanks for the heads up kayless.

DrMike, I checked out that ticket and added the patch to my code. The adduser works great, but the add blog is giving me an error. Wakeless says he wants feedback, so I'll post it this in the Trac system.

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function wpmu_admin_do_direct() in C:\wamp\www\expertvoices\wp-admin\wpmu-edit.php on line 114"

I'm probably out of sync with the cvs nightlies. I am using the rc2 code.

11. wakeless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks ellycramer, I've got a patch to fix that particular fatal error. I'll upload it to the ticket. I appreciate the feedback.

12. ellycramer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see the patch in RC4 and both the new blog and new user in the Site Admin are working great! Thanks Wakeless! - elly

13. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

At the top of the list in my installation's chengelog is the following:

"r187 | donncha | 2005-07-12 12:06:55 +0100 (Tue, 12 Jul 2005) | 2 lines
    Changed paths:
    A /trunk/wp-inst/wp-admin/themes.php

Added support for allowed_themes"

So ... which version am I using?

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

A version from many eons ago. Do note the 2005 in there.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Unless the changelog was never overwritten.

It "should" tell you in the footer of the admin area as well.

Wow, I can't imagine still running on a version "that" behind. Not with all the fixes and improvements in the past 13 months.

16. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I am worried about is the upgrade that I want to do, but am hesitant to start without good instructions because I don't know which "release candidate" I am using.

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Read over this, and look at the pre RC1 upgrade instructions.

It might help.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/UpgradingWpmu

18. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

What you are saying is that my site is definitely Pre Version 1, RC1.

Honestly, that's all I really needed to know.

19. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, I posted this on my blog.

I long ago realized that I needed to know more about databases and servers than I did at the time before attempting a WPMu site. I didn't heed the warnings. But I have learned a lot, but I need some help know. Were I charging anyone to use the site, I'd be too embarrassed to bleg.

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How many sites are in there? Do you have any custom ocde in there?

I'm tempted to suggest backing everything up, deleteing the old code, uploading the new code, and then running the upgrade script from within Site Admin.

21. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

The only custom code I can think of is in the themes, which can be backed up. I imagine that most of my use would want to start using widgets, which means these themes for them.

Although hundred of people have created blogs, most were splogs and have been deleted. I'd say there are 20 serious bloggers

22. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Question: What is the downside to doing it the way drmike suggested?

Stupid question, perhaps. But I'd rather risk a stupid question than not learn something.

23. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry, but I'm bumping this upa bit because I'd really like to know if this would work: backing up, deleting old code and installing again. Has anyone tried this? would there be a problem with the file structure? Naturally, I'd up load all the files in "wp-content."

24. demonicume
    Posted 17 years ago #

funky things happen. hacks you forgot about come back to haunt you. but it should work.

25. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK. I'm gonna give it a try some weekend when blogging is light. Backup, backup, backup.

26. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's one of the reasons why I always put in my

/* Includes Custom Code */

at the head of any file with edits. You can search for that string.

27. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

VERY good advice. I don't think I've using any, but that's what backups are for.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by fnapo
  • Latest reply from billdennis5