The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Best captcha today? (2 posts)

1. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

Which is the best onne today?

2. leewells
    Posted 13 years ago #

I developed one a while back, WPMU Super CAPTCHA. It use to work with the regular versions of WordPress, today, I'm not sure, but I know it is still working with the MU versions. It is the only CAPTCHA system I've ever used that actually works.

Regardless of what people say, bots have a very hard time reading images; when you randomize features on an image like color, lines, font type, and intentionally obscure fonts to where pieces are unreadable, the human logic has to kick in to crack it. That's what I did, and to really kick the bots in the balls, I made it so when someone fails 3 times in a row they're IP banned for 3 hours. If they keep trying (like bots usually do) after they're banned, then the browser agents, host names, IP, etc is dumped into the database and are then banned on all of those as well, so when they use the same bot program on another server to try and bypass the IP ban, they're popped again lol.

The system works SO well in fact, I've been personally threatened, cursed out, and harassed by whom I suspect to be bot programmers about my public and free release of the CAPTCHA system.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by bloggus
  • Latest reply from leewells