The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

advice: MU or wait for WP 3.0? (4 posts)

1. gyrus
    Posted 14 years ago #

A client wants their site revamping in WP. They have their main site and another related project site. This project site will start as a basic blog, but in the future they want to shift their project's social network side from their current Ning setup to BuddyPress.

Now, I know WP and WPMU are merging soon (3.0?). My problem is, my client wants the basic two sites up and running before I go on holiday in a few weeks. WPMU seems like it might be the way to go - even before they get BuddyPress going, they can run their 2 sites from one install.

However, while I know WP very well, I've never deployed WPMU before. I don't feel able to promise delivery before I go away - I don't know what the learning curve and have no feel for the scale of unforeseen WPMU issues.

Also - the time limit aside - is it worth going with WPMU now? Is WPMU for 2 sites, shortly before the WP/MU merger, overkill? Maybe it'd be simpler to have 2 WP installs for now and then when WP and WPMU merge, fold the project site into the main install. And then add BuddyPress.

I'd be very grateful for any pointers while I digest all the WPMU info on the web...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Now, I know WP and WPMU are merging soon (3.0?)."

yeah, 'soon' in this case is by the end of the year. :D

All things considered, if you're in that much of a crunch and it's only 2 blogs, go the single WP route for now.

3. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

So this post is 10 months old, I have WP 3.0 RC installed (pretty kewl stuff btw) - so I have to re-ask this question...

MU or wait for WP 3.0?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

3.0 is due any day now. I've been telling people for a month to use the release candidates. it's been pretty darn stable.

About this Topic