The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

email Spam filter not working? (22 posts)

1. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am really cheesed off at present. I spent ages putting in spam email accounts to the ban list only to have several spammers join recently using the self same email acocunts.

Either it doesnt work or I am putting them in incorrectly. Could someone please let me know how to word the email so that it actually works?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Single lines, no wildcards, like this:

168max.com
    21cn.com
    komatoz.net
    mail.ru
    800Clothing.info
    800Footwear.info

and so on...

also check out the latest readme.txt file where it says:

"165 SPAM
    166 ====
    167 On WordPress MU sites spam signups can be a major problem. Akismet (http://akismet.com/)
    168 protects against spam comments but the following will help defeat
    169 spammers using automated scripts to create blogs:
    170 http://ocaoimh.ie/cookies-for-comments/
    171 http://wordpress-plugins.feifei.us/hashcash/
    172 http://www.darcynorman.net/2009/05/20/stopping-spamblog-registration-in-wordpress-multiuser/"

3. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ahhh I had @ in front of them all. Awesome thank you!! I will check out the latest readme too.

I see you here a lot helping everyone, and was on your site the other day. Great work you do Andrea, thank you very much, you have helped me out several times without knowing :-)

Off to go through many, many emails I put on to mass delete a stray @ lol

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Copy the email list into a text editor, then use the find and replace to remove the @, and paste the list back. :)

You are very welcome.

5. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh POO! I did that and I had four more join last night with the same email addresses. I did the htaccess thing too.

Nothing is stopping these prats from joining :-(

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try montyspam

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you try those 3 suggested links above as well?

8. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did the htaccess one and the email list. I weasnt sure if I could try all of them at once but I will do anything. I am getting minimum 5 spam blogs a day, doesnt sound like many and im gratful its not bots yet, but it already annoying LOL

9. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh and I have akismet for the comments. They are however not commenting, they are making usernames and blogs.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

11. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, thats the htaccess thing I already put in unfortunately. I think this must be real people that are coming, using mysace.com and onlq.com emails I tried banning those but it has made no difference at all, they are still coming. Had another three already thins morning. Look like I will have to give up worrying and just accept it as a part of this blog

12. maurizios
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I have the same problem too :(
    Same domains: mysace, onlq, myspacee and so on.
    I use reCaptcha during signup but nothing to do.
    As far as I know, recaptcha has not cracked yet.
    Anyway, I have one/two join daily.
    But I don't think they are real people signing up here and there over the net. I think they are spam bot.
    Recaptcha doesn't fix the problem. Htaccess doesn't fix the problem.
    So?

13. 1stAngel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Im not sure but the email ban may be working as I am getting different ones now and havent had a re-entry of the ones I ban. However, there are SO many emails to ban it is ridiculous. Once I put in the list, then a new one, another comes along. It just doesnt work this way.

I am about to try the disposable email plugin and see what that does. Not sure if that works with BP

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you install bbpress too? Turn off user registration in bbpress.

15. maurizios
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can't ban all of them. Look at here:

http://ipneighbor.com/neighbors.php?q=onlq.com

Too many domains. These are some IPs of them:

87.118.94.133 (87.118.64.0/18)
    67.18.16.226 (67.18.0.0/15)
    74.208.10.19 (74.208.0.0/17)
    67.205.45.4 (67.205.32.0/19)

The key is discovering HOW they can do that. When you KNOW HOW they do that, then you will be able to block them. Suggestions?

16. maurizios
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh, I didn't install bbpress and I have the same problem.
    Email ban works but there are too many domains to ban.
    I use recaptcha (not cracked yet AFAIK) so they aren't signing up at all.
    Hence my question is: how can they bypass signup form?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

18. maurizios
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have not spam inside of comments, actually.
    So cookies and hashcash are not helpful.
    I tried htaccess change but it didn't work.
    Putting in spam email accounts to the ban list didn't work at all.
    BTW, I use re-captcha during signup.
    Nothing works.
    So I changed the wp-activate.php file blocking signups from IP addresses that are not coming from Italy (I have an italian wpmu installation).
    This stopped splogs for a while, but today... one new bogus registration!
    Again, how can they do that?
    Where can I put a piece of code to block them?
    My BIG question is: how can wordpress.com handle that?

19. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm getting the spammers walking right through the banned domains list as well. I employ the 3 listed techniques (heck, I wrote one of them :-) ) but they just walk right through like the banned domains list isn't even there.

Biggest offenders are
    myspace.info
    myspacee.info

both of which are in my banned domains list. I keep getting people creating accounts and blog sites using email addresses from those domains (and a handful of others).

(update: just looked - I had an installed but not active copy of BBPress. I've just nuked that to see if they were somehow using it as a back door).

20. dnorman
    Posted 14 years ago #

yeah. no trace of BBPress, and the myspace.info and myspacee.info keep on coming even though they're in the banned domains list. Any ideas?

21. djsteve
    Posted 14 years ago #

I too have noticed that even putting domains in the block list seems to not stop future registrations. Here is a thought of mine.
    MAYBE a spammer actually signs up 100 new accounts, and then only activates one a day. So even though we have added his domain to the ban list for signups, he still has 99 more that have been signed up, but not yet activated?

If this is the case I would like to see MU add core code that checks to see upon activation if the domain they originally used to signup has since been banned, and then prevent them from activating if it has.

Just a thought, not sure if this is the case - but it may be worth looking into.

22. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://core.trac.wordpress.org

Make your suggestion there.

Gotta admit though I'm a -1 for that. Get one gmail account that gets banned and from then on all those users are banned.

About this Topic