The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Windows Live Writer - "You do not currently have an active blog" (7 posts)

1. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

We recently moved our WPMU 2.7.1 install over from our test server to production; we've worked out most of the kinks, but have one last stumbling block.

When I setup Windows Live Writer on our test server with WPMU, WLW detected the blog settings as per usual; I was able to login and post, etc.

Now, on the production server, I add the production blog url and username/password. Same process as before.

WLW is looking up the blog; all seems well, but when it gets to the "Verifying blog publishing interface", I get a prompt saying:

No Blogs Found on Server

A successful connection was made to your account however the server reported that you do not currently have an active blog. Please ensure that your account with this provider is current before proceeding.

---

This doesn't make much sense because it was working on our test server, unless there's something that needs to be altered in the database from when we migrated from test to production...

XML-RPC is already enabled on the blog in question.

Any pointers?

2. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay the error is WLW is looking for the wlwmanifest.xml in the wrong directory for sub-blogs.

[Mon Aug 24 10:11:01 2009] [error] [client 00.00.000.00] File does not exist: /var/www/example.com/blog/wlwmanifest.xml

Is there a reason why WLW is looking for the wrong sub-blog after moving servers?

3. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, this is kind of resolved.

I had some RewriteRules in my .htaccess to force "non-www" redirects to redirect to their "www" equivalent.

I removed them and WLW works now.

However, I still need to figure out how to redirect non-www pages to www pages without breaking WLW detection.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

You could probably do that using a Modrewrite condition to exclude accesses from WLW from the www re-writing.

5. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Forgot to update this thread!

I'm using the following in .htaccess now:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !Windows\ Live\ Writer
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

This fixes the problem.

6. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to update those who might have a similar problem.

The code above doesn't work... I've modified the RewriteCond again to this:

#Redirect non-www to www except for Windows Live Writer requests
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com
    #RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !.*writer* [NC]
    #the above RewriteCond doesn't work unfortunately...
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !xmlrpc.php$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !wlwmanifest.xml$
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

So this redirects every non-www request to its www equivalent except xmlrpc.php and wlwmanifest.xml which WLW looks for.

If someone comes across a better solution, let me know.

7. cogmios
    Posted 14 years ago #

I could not get WLW working with MU. Furtermore I wrote my own WP API library which obviously also does not work.

How can I use the XMLRPC interface? on my system it says "only allows POST"

About this Topic