The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Best Linux dist for wordpress mu (14 posts)

1. yossin
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi everyone -
    I would like to know what is the best Linux dist. for wordpress mu assuming i expect realy high traffic ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

10x

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Doesn't really matter which, Go for a recent stable release. Memory and CPU cores are really the killer when it comes to heavy load

3. yossin
    Posted 14 years ago #

I really appreciate your swift response.
    I asked this because i intend to work with load balancer also.
    That's why i consider installing one of three: debian, ubuntu or redhat.
    Assuming working with load-balancer, which is the best os fit to this?

Thanks in advance

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Debian or Redhat. Either will do. I haven't tried Ubuntu.

5. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ubuntu works great but as before mentioned, you really need to be more concerned with RAM and CPU power.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The biggest difference I saw was using nginx instead of apache, really.

7. webhostuk
    Posted 14 years ago #

CentOS is great and works stable with WP

8. yossin
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello to you all -
    Again, I would like to express my deep appreciation for your responds and comments. All of you helped my dedcide: I probably will go on Debian since it's already installed on my server.
    However, I would like to refer to andrea_r post about the Nginx:
    If you could please tell me the diffrences between Nginx and Apache and if those differences are related to wordpress specifically or related to web application generally?

Thanks in advance,

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The difference between Nginx & Apache are related to web application. It's a little different to set up.

So.. for now, go with the Debian and the Apache setup.

10. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

The main difference is that nginx is a very lightweight web server, and Apache is a bit more bloated (in my opinion).

It takes a little longer to set up, well it did for me because it had a slight learning curve, but once it's up and running it whizzes along quite nicely.

11. yossin
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you very much indeed.

You've really helped my to make up my mind on this one.

12. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Maybe not bloated, maybe more feature rich and Apache comes with a little bit too much turned on by default

13. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Debian and Ubuntu use less resources than Red Hat and CentOS in my personal experience. I prefer nginx with php-fpm with fastcgi cache + memcached on ubuntu.

14. error
    Posted 14 years ago #

Debian/Ubuntu debian-installer ate my hard drive. I won't use it again, for anything, anytime soon.

All my servers have been Red Hat or Fedora based for years, and even aside from Debian's unfixed critical data loss bugs, Debian/Ubuntu has failed to impress me as a server platform.

CentOS (based on RHEL) already has high availability features built in which you can start using right away.

I also switched to nginx from apache on my main site (which uses WordPress, not MU) some time ago and I'm highly impressed. Apache has turned into a bloated nightmare, stripping it down is a royal pain, and it's also a bit too crashy. The only real issue you'll run into is that nginx uses a different format for its rewrite rules, so you'll have to port those. This example should help.

About this Topic