The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Slow login screen / wrong username error (7 posts)

1. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

Trying to access to the login screen takes a very very long time, and then there is always an error above the login fields,

ERROR: Wrong username / password combination.

This will happen when accessing /wp-admin/ or wp-login.php, and even on a browser with no cookies/history/sessions.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It wasnt always the case, but after one of the recent core updates, I started to get this slow-down cropping up.

Let me add, after successfully logging in, everything runs fine. This is a problem when you dont have a successful login session currently established.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check out the default htaccess.dist and wp-config-sample.php. Make sure in your upgrades you move over any extra bits, which is quite possible if you've upgraded from way bakc. The .htacess and wp-config don't get upgraded with any new lines.

3. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

I reviewed the files, and they seem to match, except:

Some time ago I upgraded from 2.6 to 2.7, so I followed the instructions on http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WPMU for it.

The part in MY config that doesnt match the new config-sample is the following (but I was instructed to insert them)

define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '');
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

...and I have two extra keys/salts that are no longer in the wp-config.. (not sure where these came from)

define('SECRET_KEY', ''); // Change these to unique phrases.
    define('SECRET_SALT', '');

Should I remove these?

Thanks!

4. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

..well, as a test I cleared out those two sets of items in the log, and the issue still occurs.

When not logged in, and attempting to access wp-login or wp-admin, I get a very long delay, followed by the page loading with the error, "ERROR: Wrong username / password combination."

5. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

well, nevermind.

Turns out it was a bug in my LDAP authentication plugin that has been patched.

The problem has now gone away.

6. webhostuk
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good to know your issue is resolved.

7. nchubaty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks 'kingkong954'.

I've spent an hour trying to figure out why I'm suddenly locked of of my WPMU sites, and after seeing your post, I upgraded my WPMU-LDAP plugin and voila. I'm in!

Panic attack over!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by kingkong954
  • Latest reply from nchubaty