The MU forums have moved to

Slow login screen / wrong username error (7 posts)

  1. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

    Trying to access to the login screen takes a very very long time, and then there is always an error above the login fields,

    ERROR: Wrong username / password combination.

    This will happen when accessing /wp-admin/ or wp-login.php, and even on a browser with no cookies/history/sessions.

    Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It wasnt always the case, but after one of the recent core updates, I started to get this slow-down cropping up.

    Let me add, after successfully logging in, everything runs fine. This is a problem when you dont have a successful login session currently established.

  2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

    Check out the default htaccess.dist and wp-config-sample.php. Make sure in your upgrades you move over any extra bits, which is quite possible if you've upgraded from way bakc. The .htacess and wp-config don't get upgraded with any new lines.

  3. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

    I reviewed the files, and they seem to match, except:

    Some time ago I upgraded from 2.6 to 2.7, so I followed the instructions on for it.

    The part in MY config that doesnt match the new config-sample is the following (but I was instructed to insert them)

    define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '');
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

    ...and I have two extra keys/salts that are no longer in the wp-config.. (not sure where these came from)

    define('SECRET_KEY', ''); // Change these to unique phrases.
    define('SECRET_SALT', '');

    Should I remove these?


  4. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

    ..well, as a test I cleared out those two sets of items in the log, and the issue still occurs.

    When not logged in, and attempting to access wp-login or wp-admin, I get a very long delay, followed by the page loading with the error, "ERROR: Wrong username / password combination."

  5. kingkong954
    Posted 14 years ago #

    well, nevermind.

    Turns out it was a bug in my LDAP authentication plugin that has been patched.

    The problem has now gone away.

  6. webhostuk
    Posted 14 years ago #

    Good to know your issue is resolved.

  7. nchubaty
    Posted 14 years ago #

    Thanks 'kingkong954'.

    I've spent an hour trying to figure out why I'm suddenly locked of of my WPMU sites, and after seeing your post, I upgraded my WPMU-LDAP plugin and voila. I'm in!

    Panic attack over!

About this Topic

  • Started 14 years ago by kingkong954
  • Latest reply from nchubaty