The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

One Chinese blog, others in English (7 posts)

1. jasonfearon
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello:

I'm just wondering if its possible with MU to do one blog in Chinese, with the others being in English.

I realize that there's a full Chinese version of WP (and from what I can tell, a full Chinese version of MU, too). But I need to have several blogs in English, and one in Chinese.

Suggestions?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can do that.

3. Duijst
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's nice to know, Andrea, but HOW?

Thanks,
    Henk-Sjoerd.

4. Duijst
    Posted 14 years ago #

SORRY! ("Do something with Settings") I'm just new to the blog.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Add the language packs.

Choose the language for that blog in the backend.

Same as for regular WP.

6. burvil
    Posted 13 years ago #

Andrea,

I've been researching this, and have some specific questions.

I understand that I'd need to install the Traditional Chinese (zh_TW) language pack. I've downloaded .mo and .po files from the 2.9 branch from http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/zh_TW/branches/2.9/messages/, and installed them in my wp-includes/language folder.

However,

1. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Choose the language for that blog in backend'. From the instructions in the codex, it would seem I'd have to edit the wp-config.php file, and change the WP_LANG variable with:

define ('WPLANG', 'zh_TW');

but that would change the language for *all* of the blogs, wouldn't it? Can you clarify what steps are needed for this? I only want
    that for one blog.

2. After this change is done, all text (i.e. not just user content, but wordpress itself) for the one Chinese blog will have Chinese characters, correct? I realize I may have to refresh my browser and maybe clear my cache.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Whern you put the language packs in, there will be a drop-down to pick a language in the user's admin area.

http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/localization/

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jasonfearon
  • Latest reply from andrea_r