The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Theme for MU: Am I the only one to look for this ? (8 posts)

1. micass
    Posted 14 years ago #

As astonishing as it appears, I did'nt find any answer to my questions.
    Basically what I need is "simply" to display on my home page (the one which displays all my blogs) a right menu as below:
    - A filter link for classifying blogs by Most recents blog & Most commented blogs
    - A Tag Cloud gathering all the Tag cloud of all my blogs. The result should display the Posts from all my blogs.
    -A Search engine letting me to find blog by Title, Author,Tag
    -A display part which display the most recently commented blogs
    and the the most active (by number of contributions)
    -Finally the Top Bloggers and the Top Commenters

Obviously all these results should point to the native blog/comment and not to a local "copy" of them.

Look at wordpress.com in french for instance : they did it !

For most of them I've found plenty of plugins but none work on MU: it seems they are working on single blogs, not on the head farm of them (ex: "recent post" plugin).

Do you know a Theme which does this ?
    Not necessarily a free one, I'm ready to PAY for it ;)
    Sorry but by now it's pretyy urgent so , like thousands people before me, H.E.L.P !!!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, if you were looking for a theme to do this, that's the reason you didn't find it. :) It's not a theme thingy.

Most of what you want can be done with the sitewide tags plugin.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

Yes, it makes a copy of each post into the tags blog - BUT - they link back to the original blog post, so the user does not know there's a copy involved.

And, I'll offer up this example: http://homeschooljournal.net - That one of my sites. It has a lot of stuff you listed that you wanted. We used the sitewide tags plugin to pull all the posts to the main page, and we used a handful of other plugins - some of which we wrote ourselves - to do the rest.

The theme used - which I really do like - is sort of irrelevant. We just looked for one with lots of widget areas. The rest of the functionality is, like I said, all plugins.

3. micass
    Posted 14 years ago #

Many Thanks!
    I will feedback soon hopefully

4. micass
    Posted 14 years ago #

:-0
    When I tried to install the plugin I get this error:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare sitewide_tags_options() (previously declared in /clients/dev_blog/web/dev-blog.XXX.com/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/sitewide-tags.php:30) in /clients/dev_blog/web/dev-blog.XXX.com/html/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/sitewide-tags.php on line 73

Any idea ?

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

why have you got the wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags folder under wp-content/plugins?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You've already got it installed int he mu-plugins folder. No need to put it in the plugins folder as well.

7. alanbliss
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've installed the plugin, and been to the pugin site, but it doesn't really give tips on using, are there any posts you know of already covering this ?

cheers!

8. markwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r

I'm really liking the look of your homeschool journal dot net, as I'm looking into a more magazine-style mu, with aggregation and so forth on the main page.

One question : you highlight the latest entries across the blogs, but you don't give the name of the blog from which they come. Was there a technical reason for this? Or just the way you wanted to do it.?

I'd go for an option of highlighting the name of the blog, to give some additional context

M

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by micass
  • Latest reply from markwatson