The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Request: Adsense Revenue Sharing (34 posts)

1. knight01
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been searching for a plugin that would allow adsense (yahoo, whatever) revenue sharing between the person writing the blog and myself (as host).

Something along the lines that you see in many forums. I'm shocked this is so difficult to locate, I'm certain someone must be doing this?!?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd be interested in this too. I was thinking that it may be possible by exporting detailed reports from Adsense and parsing them manually using Excel. But if someone could come up with a plugin that would be great!

3. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think we can use pay feature plugin. I mean let blogger pay a little fees every month to use advanced feature such adsense. Feature only available when user make payment. :)
    Or wordpress can intergrate this service.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would think that this would be more of an issue with the provider of the banners in question. (ie adsense, yahoo, etc.)

There are advertisers who do "up the chain" credits for their systems. The higher level up gets a 5% cut of everything done below them type thing. You would have to get your client to sign up for their account though via a link that you provide so that you get the proper credit.

5. knight01
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the replies, I've just downloaded and installed mu.wp so haven't looked at the code yet.

Just thought this would be something that would have been done, based on the popularity of wp.

Specifically what I've got in mind would be I would create specific locations where an advertisement would appear on various pages. The blogger would add their adsense/yahoo/? publisher id number in the blog control panel. Then when a page of theirs is viewed an advertisement would appear. I'm thinking of using a 90% ad share, meaning when the advertisement shows, 90% of the time it would have their publisher id in it and my publisher id the other 10% of the time.

By using their own publisher id, rather than channels or categories, if they do things they shouldn't do (clicking their own ads, etc) only their publisher account would be at risk and not mine. This would also give them the trust that I'm not 'fudging' the income as they would be able to log into adsense/yahoo and see earnings directly.

This idea is based on a modification available to vBulletin, where forum owners can share revenue with the users/posters of a forum. The concept has gotten a blessing from adsense, so I don't think their is anything stopping this from being done within the mu.wp community. But as I said, I just downloaded the code and don't know my way around it yet.

If anyone has any ideas about how this can be done or if it is being done, I'd appreciate any help with it.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Could have sworn I gave a reply pointing this poster in the right direction. :)

I have over 600 clients hosted (non-MU sites) out of over 2200 where we share advertising. CJ and Adsense already do this but you have to be in their higher view count program to qualify. (IIRC Adsense required 6 million page views a month to qualify a few years back.)

There are other advert programs that do this already as well. You just provide the link to your clients and you get back a portion of what they earn.

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not really. Most of the Adsense plugins and widgets allow the user to choose the colors of the advert. It appears that this one doesn't.

9. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

It shouldn't be that hard, the revenue-sharing part, that is :)

For instance, go download Mike Smullins' AdSense Widget and add this code just after line 55 (before the AdSense-script is outputted):

if(rand(1, 100) >= 90) :
    $options['google_ad_client'] = 'your-adsense-code-here';
    endif;

I haven't tested it, but in theory it should output an AdSense-script with your own AdSense-id 10 % of the times and the users id the other 90 % of the times.

Let me know if it works ;)

PS: It would still require the user to sign up for AdSense, though.

10. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

11. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

12. JuanManuel
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found this plugin that might be able to acomplish what are you looking for, I havent tested yet.

Adsense Sharing Revenue adn Earnings System:

http://adsense.ayanev.com/

13. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've used the Revenue Sharing system by Ayanev on my non MU blog and it's great. It doesn't work seamlessly with MU though as the tables to store the info in the db need to be created for each hosted blog (layman's terms here, I'm no programmer).

Anyone come up with a working solution for Adsense sharing in MU? There was a link in another thread that claimed a solution but the link is dead now.

14. pegasusteam
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey that works! I made a couple of small changes though. This should put out 80% to the blogger and 20% to me.

Anybody have an and statement to add to it to change the channel at the same time as the pub?

if(rand(2, 10) >= 8) :
    $options['google_ad_client'] = 'your-adsense-code-here';
    endif; ?>

Be sure to remove the ?> after line 55, paste above on 56 and upload to mu-plugins.
    Ron

15. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

pegasus, when the code you have there says 'your-adsense-code-here' does that mean the pub-id only or the entire adsense block code?

I'm trying it out now. If it works like it should then you guys are geniuses (you are anyway).

16. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nevermind. Stupid question...I asked before I checked the code for myself.

So far seems to be running like it should on a test blog and my main site. I had to change the code on line 78 because I run on PHP5 and I had that array error that people were reporting on Mikes' site. The modified code can be found on one of the first few comments on the Plugin page on his site.

17. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can you guys confirm that this is working?

18. pegasusteam
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't really want to post a url until my site was closer to being ready, but you can have a look yourself.

Just refresh or click back and forth on the archives, post, sitemap... and check the source in-between your clicks. Please don't click the ad though as it is a made up pub.

http://ecoblogs.net/testing1/

Ron

19. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

Its been working for me since yesterday. One thing I noticed though...once the widget is configured. If you try to click on the configuration again it sometimes erases itself back to the defaults. Besides that its fine. I just leave it alone.

Anyone else seeing that issue?

20. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Cool. Is that possibly something to do with some kind of caching cm103?

21. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's what I'm not sure of. It's been years since I programmed and the closest I get to that these days is writing scripts for the domains I manage at work. I'm getting back into it now though, just need to find a good place to start and refresh my memory. If it isn't a client side cacheing issue then it will take me a while to figure out what to change on the scripts at this point.

I'll try opening the widget configs on a seperate machine then check back on the original to see if it was really wiped or if it's just the computer cache.

I may post all the steps I took to get it running on php 5 if there is interest so people don't have to piece through the posts here and over on Mike's blog.

22. pegasusteam
    Posted 16 years ago #

CM I don't have that problem on php 4.4.4. must be a php 5 issue or something on your machine.

23. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm checking into whether it's a caching thing first then a PHP5 issue. The code below was found by a person who commented on Mike's website as to what was changed on line 78 for PHP 5.

I had to change line #78 from:

$options = array_merge(widget_adsense_options(), get_option(’widget_adsense’));

to:

$wadsense = get_option(’widget_adsense’);
    $options = array_merge(widget_adsense_options(), array($wadsense));

Besides that change, the if statement above was also used.

Pegasus, just for curiosity sake, what browser are you using? I'm on Firefox 2 and haven't tested on IE as yet. I'm trying to eliminate all possible outside variables.

24. pegasusteam
    Posted 16 years ago #

CM, I tested the ad rotation with Firefox 2, and I just now went in and played with the widget, nothing happened..
    so it doesn't look like it is browser related.

I normally use IE7.

Ron

25. cm103
    Posted 16 years ago #

I played with it also in IE and Firefox, it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once for every 5 times I open the widget configuration.

Still need to check it on different machines though but I've been too busy at work to really do that. I have a mac at home that I'll use to test it as well.

26. mEgg
    Posted 16 years ago #

Does anyone have code that will work without being a widget?

27. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check out this widget for Adsense sharing.

28. mEgg
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there anyway this could be called outside the widget (sidebar) area?

29. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

mEgg, how would you like to use it? Do you want to hard code it?

30. Parado
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by knight01
  • Latest reply from andrea_r