The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to upgrade WP to WP MU (10 posts)

1. shoesiq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Folks,

Good morning (CDT). I have my wife joining the blogging world and would like to have one installation of WP (vs. 2). How can I upgrade/modify my existing instance (I host on Dreamhost) to support MU while not losing what I already have in the current blog.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's an export function in WordPress, under the Tools menu. However, this will only back up Posts, Pages and Comments. Plug-in data and site settings won't be saved.

If you want everything, you're going to have to log-in to your MySQL database via PHPMyAdmin or a similar tool and perform a backup. After you install MU, you can go back into PHPMyAdmin and import your data again.

3. at.charlie
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey i use filezilla and have been using wordpress. i now want to upload wordpress mu and when i do it's not showing up. do i need to delete wordpress first? where do i place wordpress mu so it shows up?

4. nickaster
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi there. I'm thinking about switching to MU as well. I have a fairly complicated theme and bunch of plugins. I also have bbpress set up on my regular WP blog.

What are the main things to be concerned about if I decide to migrate to MU? What kinds of site settings, for example will I have to change? Are plugins generally compatible with both MU and regular?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"do i need to delete wordpress first? where do i place wordpress mu so it shows up? "

You have to replace your WP install with MU.

"What are the main things to be concerned about if I decide to migrate to MU? What kinds of site settings, for example will I have to change? Are plugins generally compatible with both MU and regular? "

plugins, generally. Some are picky with MU. You will have to test. Or, ask here. Or, search.

The theme you should be okay with. unless it calls a plugin that won't work right under MU. :D

6. nickaster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay... so here's a really generic question. Is this *really* that different from Wordpress? What's the point of having two types of wordpress? Doest it get updated in the same way/schedule as wordpress? Am I venturing into a world where day-to-day questions are not going to be answerable by the average wordpress expert?

Thanks!

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well... we're at a weird point. It's 95% the same as WP , but that 5% is the kicker for a lot of people.

And the codebases are merging, probably by the end of the year. Right now it doesn't get updated at the same pace as regualr WP and only by one guy.

If you ask MU-related questions on the regular WP forums, they'll boot you over here.

So... you can either play around with MU now and get a jump start, or wait till it merges.

8. thatmtnman
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey andrea,

Good morning!

I'm Frank btw...newbie to all things Wordpress and MU. Just a quick and hope easy question.

I went and did a huge customization of a web theme, plugins, layout yada yada...I thought I was on MU, and I could have sworn I upload the MU package but, apparently not, as I can not see the MU folder in my directory anywhere.

So-my question is: I have no posts, and no content really to speak of, and want to upgrade to MU. Can I just overwrite everything?

If I do overwrite everything, will my theme customizations be saved? I am guessing I can just download a copy of my custom theme to the desktop and then after the MU is done installing, just upload the theme again and select it?

In a situation like this, where you just overwrite everything, do you end up with a seperate MU and Wordpress folders or just one?

cheers!

Frank

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Can I just overwrite everything?"

Yes. Empty the database first though. also, delete wp-config.php & .htaccess. Overwrite the files, and run the installer.

You can maybe leave the themes & plugins there, or just re-upload them after. make sure you back them up first.

You'll have one folder because you're *replacing* WP with MU.

10. ebiladdress
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd like to talk about my movement from WP to MU..

I moved all my files to another directory and used it as a 'live' backup of the data, done over ftp. There are minor edits to make this work.

Then I made the database and installed the MU instance.

Once that instance was configured and operational (of sorts) I pulled all posts down from the old site running in example.com/oldsite.

I added the name change of _1 or _2 or _3 reference in the the file name and uploaded that content to the MU websites database.

This worked fine. I did not care to move comments over so I did not include those, but I got all the post content into the blog(s) it was intended for.

If you want to include pages, comments and alike there are other steps to perform, I've not run across that need but know there are links out there for the process.

Eric

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by shoesiq
  • Latest reply from ebiladdress