The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Shared windows hosting install (11 posts)

1. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am trying to install mu on a windows server in a shared enviroment. I have installed mu on a local windows installation but used wamp. I can't on a share server. They have a install for normal wordpress so it should work. I just need to know what additional steps to get mu working.
    Thanks
    Greg

2. batrachoid
    Posted 14 years ago #

Some hosts require an upgraded account for wordpressmu, check with them.

3. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

They don't have a setup for it but will allow me to install it if I can. They are not wordpress specific and don't know much about it.

4. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

gday -- are you using plesk or cpanel?

I have had both in the past and am currently on a dedicated 2008 server (the previous was a virtual 2003)

IMHO it is much easier (and saves a ton of resources) if you drop the plesk/c panel and work the server as a regular server. If you get into the server from any place other than your control panel you are in big trouble. Not to mention it is kind of redundant to get a Microsoft server than have to install wamp(apache) or tomcat to administer it.

If you are going that route simply get a Linux server and you probably won't run into that many issues since the folks here at WordPress are big into the opensource stuff anyway.

With that said, using virtual directories is the only way to go with Windows based servers. For starters all that chmod stuff doesn't apply to Windows, secondly as I said you are actually applying those configurations onto an apache or tomcat server running on the Windows platform eating up resources. Not to reiterate but if you go Microsoft don't get the control panel.

Next, with the Windows set-up so YOU administer it, NOT apache or tomcat or whatever, you simply go to the IIS console, click on the "site" folder and create a new "Web Site". If you are not familiar with using Windows then, you probably are lost by now in which case, I again would go the Linux route with the Plesk/C-Panel.

With the Microsoft server you can then place you're Mu folder OUTSIDE your inetpub folder thusly keeping it as locked down as it should be. The reason being is that once you install Mu into the inetpub folder and allow the world privileges all the way down the "food" change, you are leaving the rest of your Windows inetpub folder vulnerable.

Whelp to keep this to get to windy, there are ways of moving inetpub to another partition/drive (which again is always a good idea for security reasons) via batch files that make life easier, then you'll need to install PHP, MySQL, Sun JAVA, and a Java Bridge to allow your php to execute the java (where as the two script languages (php and java) don't like to play together very well on a Windows server)....

Email me if you want more gory details so I don't kill this thread with details about Windows Servers... (I. Myself prefer Windows over the OpenSource servers)

5. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

I meant that I had used wamp on my home install not this one. I am also on shared hosting not my own server or VPN. The issue is I have space that is paid for that I'm also using for other things ( a dnn install for one). I need to use the space I already own for the wordpress mu installation. It is shared hosting. A custom control panel and normal FTP access.

6. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Assuming you don't mind having WMPU in the root directory, you can follow the install steps in the readme file. If the single user WordPress installs fine, WPMU should as well.

Give it a shot. If you run into specific errors, bring those back and we can help.

7. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well I attempted the install like normal. Right now I have a database connection error. I have checked with my host information and I am entering the correct host information, user name and password etc. It is using mysql 5.0.22 on their server. I also checked their one click install, that I did, of wordpress. The config file for it list information similar to the information I am putting in for the database (same format and prefix etc).

I am using a sub directory install and it is on the same space as a regular wordpress install, but I don't think that would cause an issue with the database connection.

Ironically this isn't the type error I expected, I was expecting some type of mod_rewrite problem or something since I am on windows, not database connection issues. Though maybe there is a connection there. Any help or tips would be appreciated. thanks

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Don't edit the config file for WPMU. You simply put the files in place and visit the site in your browser. If it does come up with a message to edit, it's finding the other config file.

Do this:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

Then run the installer.

If you get the install screen coming back, then undo that edit, but you'll still be installed.

9. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

I didn't edit the config file, I looked at the wordpress installs config file to confirm I was entering the database info correctly (since my regular wordpress install runs I figured it is correct). I just verified the database host info etc. Thanks though. I'm not having that problem, just the database connection problem.

10. gday3012
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well I restarted the install, removing all wordpress mu stuff and putting it back clean. filled in the information and got past the database connection problem. Got to a congrats screen and that said it installed but at the bottom showed an error message "wordpress database error table _____ doesn't exist for select. etc etc, basically the blogs table wasn't created so I have no blog etc.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The database user has to have ALL permissions on the database.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by gday3012
  • Latest reply from andrea_r