The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

INVITES need it back (34 posts)

1. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok i'm back from a long absence and found out the whole invites thing is gone. I had to close my whole MU because all I did was deleting blogs that were setup for spam or pagerank purpose. I got sick of that.

I need the invites as an admin, not for users.

Anyone?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Gotta admit that I would like it back as well, Donncha. I know in the changelog, you say it should be a plugin but I think it should be in the download instead.

blips, the "add a blog by the admin" is listed as an upcoming feature in the trac.

*chuckle, I just had a scare. I loaded the normal version of WP's trac by mistake. Where did all those come from? :)

3. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Found the patch;

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/69

was fixed and closed 2 hours agoo, I will give it a try tonight. :)

Sweet
    thanks wakeless

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Unfortunately invites won't be coming back, time to code it as a plugin?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can we bribe you with BBQ? :)

Is the old code still available for it?

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's in the repository, but there are bits and pieces of it all over the place I'm afraid. Grepping the Changelog for "invite" might be helpful though!

7. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

blips, does the patch work? Looks good.

8. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes I patched the files as stated here; http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/69
    and it works as a charm.
    I think I will make a contact form on the frontpage for people to request a blog.

I did play around a little with the new signup and it is way better then it was 2 months agoo, spammer need to go thru some hoops now.

I'm using the RC1 and have the feeling we are getting there, its darn close.

9. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oops I'm using RC2 time goes so fast LOL

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The nightly release is more current right now.

Donncha, I noticed that in the changelog that you don't label where the RC's are along the timeline. Doing so might come in handy.

11. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

So, am I the only one that would like to see the invites system back for users as well?

It would seem to me to be a more viral and community oriented system.

That, and I'd much rather not have to deal with blog request emails from spammers.

Freq---

12. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

You are the only one?...

Who started this question? We are at least with the tree of us DrMike has the same request.

I also see an invite system a kind of exlusiveness for users, remember gmail you could only get an account after an invite, they sold it on eBay too. WordPress.com same story.

So I think invites has more then one function.

13. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd prefer invites as well.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Weird. I just upgraded to RC4 and have invites. Didn't test them though.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

*chuckle* Maybe we should invite Donncha to bring them back. :)

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, TBH, I did a "overwrite if newer" so that could be why mine are still there.

17. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe we should invite Donncha to bring them back.

I don't think he'd RSVP. ;)

I really don't understand why someone just can't write a plugin or hack (if need be. I haven't checked for hooks on the signup page lately). Donncha has said more than once now that the feature is not coming back and yet people are still asking for it.

The invite feature I coded for WPMUDEV took only about an hour to complete and that's with coding several functions that WPMU already has built in (email, etc).

There seems to be several of you that want/need the invite feature and I know several of you have the knowledge to make the plugin.

18. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I really don't understand why someone just can't write a plugin or hack

Um, time maybe? :)

Ability as well?

19. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

how about a gmail type invite.. give users 5 invites to open a blog.. get some viral marketing going!! If the user is an active blogger they could get another 50... a good blogger is more likely to invite another good blogger and so on!!

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's how the old system was. When you used an invite, you got another one back.

21. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doncha;
    Can we get it back?
    Its a very good marketing gig/buzz or whatever you name it.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

and you got more depending how long you were on the system - but making it dependant on how much you blogged would be cooler, IMO.

Scroll up, blips. Donncha said it wasn't coming back.

23. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll post a feature request on the Trac tomorrow (along with the other ones)!

24. optics
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree this is a very important feature!

25. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I do agree with donncha, that invites really should be a plugin not a feature.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to code it... so I'll take it any way I can get it.

Freq---

26. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Feature.. in the options panel! Plugins are confusing for end-users... (okok... maybe a /mu-plugin/ could be accepted) and some of them tell the end-users that there's a new version... when they click the link that pops in the admin interface they get a file they don't that know what to do with!!

27. gwagenknecht
    Posted 17 years ago #

I started coding of that plugin. Basically it will be just a PHP file that you need to drop into mu-plugins.

However, I need a few hooks.
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/112

28. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Great minds think alike - I was working on this yesterday. I got the original Site Admin Invites menu to show up so far, but not the user's Invites menu. At least not yet.

29. gwagenknecht
    Posted 17 years ago #

I got that working too. The trick is to incorporate the two invites.php files into one and than use WordPress native technologies to display pages contributed by plugins.

30. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, exactly. :)
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin
    Been reading here.

About this Topic