The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU discontinued? What is the future? (14 posts)

1. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

So will there be a merge or discontinuation of WPMU?

This is quite interesting after a comment from Matt at WPMU.org

IS there anybody that have read something about it? Any more comments from Matt anywhere?

2. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

4. alsoknownas
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, maybe being a bit thick here, but I don't understand what you are linking to wpmuguru.

5. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

You signed up 2 weeks ago and in your first post the only thing you say is that you're a bit thick...

6. alsoknownas
    Posted 14 years ago #

Jeez touchy much??

Ok, I am new to this and am getting set up ready for my first install. I saw your post on the tutorials site and then saw it again here and thought I would ask.

Is it something I should use from the outset so I am ready for the merge, or should I just go with the standard version.

But as you seem incapable of describing the benefit I would have from using it, I think I will just go with the download from here instead.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you read the post, it says it was an experiment to show how much work is left for the merge.

If you're building a live site, go with the official download.

8. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Is it something I should use from the outset so I am ready for the merge, or should I just go with the standard version."

Go with the standard version. As it stands, I don't plan on trying to keep it current with changes in WP/WPMU.

9. bloggus
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's hard to predict the future of WPMU, even when merged with WP. Will the multi-user interface stil be maintained or just forgotten ...

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you actually read what the devs had said, they are rolling in the multi blog code into single WP. So, all the single WP blogs will be able to have multiple blogs. All the current MU sites will be able to upgrade.

11. ebiladdress
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can't help but point out some humor that MU will be upgrading to WP, if I understand it right .. but thats still not firmed up really lol

12. Cruth
    Posted 14 years ago #

rolling in the multi blog code into single WP. So, all the single WP blogs will be able to have multiple blogs. All the current MU sites will be able to upgrade.

This sounds good to me.

I really like the ability to so easily create subdomains, while being able to control plugins and themes for those subdomains.

13. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I do wonder if there will be any changes to the DB structure. The separate tables for each blog makes sense in many ways but its so wrong in many other ways.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I doubt there will be much, if any, db changes. At least in terms of table creation.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by bloggus
  • Latest reply from andrea_r