The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Homepage Woes - Centralised blog post directory (9 posts)

1. Arthran
    Posted 14 years ago #

What i am attempting to do is use Mu as a CMS, and as such each "blog" is actually a category of information, pages etc.
    What i want is to create a front page like currently used at:
    Http://www.hexus.net

What they have essentially (although they arent using Mu) is a front page with an image and snippet of all of the latest articles, click them and it takes you to the article in its original location.

Thus what i'd want on my site is:

mainpage: domain.tld
    article: cat.domain.tld/article

so the mainpage shows all blog posts from all daughter blogs, but shows only a snippet of the post and then links directly to the original post.

Does this make any sense?

i cant for the life of me find a plugin that will do this

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

Drop it in mu-plugins, go to Site Adin -> Options, and set it up. It's at the bottom fo the page. Tell it to use the main blog. That will pull the posts to the main page.

For the thumbnail and snippet, that's a function of the theme. So,... edit the theme, or find a theme with those features.

3. Arthran
    Posted 14 years ago #

I tried to use that previously with no luck. Will attempt it again on my test site.

Btw, thanks for the domain redirect and multi-mu mod's you've got on your site andrea_r

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you look at http://homeschooljournal.net, the SWT plugin is exactly how I did it. :)

5. Arthran
    Posted 14 years ago #

also, with that mod, when activating the options it says:

Post to main blog
    Create posts in your main blog. All posts will appear on the front page of your site. Remember to to add a post loop to home.php in the theme directory if it exists.

What's a post loop and how does it work?

6. Arthran
    Posted 14 years ago #

it works!

Smdev.info is my test playground

I realised that only NEW posts will appear with this method, also realised that ofc if you change the location of a post on a sub-blog, it wont update the main blog. Also having a few issues with comments. But its working now!

Would still need to know about post loop's for the final theme

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That note about the post loop is *only* if you are using a theme that does not have one. Like the default home theme.

If you see the posts on the blog you want, then you do not need to add one.

8. Farms
    Posted 14 years ago #

FYI we've also just released a new global (sitweide) tags plugin and widget too.

9. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you use Donncha's sitewide tags plugin in combination with my featured blog tag cloud plugin, you can have a global tag cloud, too.

About this Topic