The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

how to show random post from user blog on my wordpress MU (11 posts)

1. nirnimesz
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi. i just installed my first wordpress mu. so,im new here. im not a hard coder also. so im asking some help from you guys.

** i want to show latest blog entry from my users blog on my home page. it could be in a slider or as main content of my home page. I am using a thesis theme.

Thx anyway.oh, i forgot im trying to make my wpmu in my lanuage - Bangla.

2. nirnimesz
    Posted 14 years ago #

anybody can help me abt this issue?

3. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you want it from the same blog all the time, you could do a switch_to_blog() call and then grab the most recent post. I'm not aware of a plugin that does this already, though.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

You ask for two different things. Do you want to show a random post from a random blog or the latest post from the entire site?

Both are actually very doable. Are you using anything currently to compile all of the posts together? Like a site wide plugin?

5. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

I would be very interested in this answer however, my question is quite a bit simpler...

When a new user signs in and creates their own blog, will they create their own rss feed in the nature of (this was my choosing during install) foo.com/blog/username (rss) or are the contents of the feeds all "mashed" together from the users blogs?

Now, the way I am placing either stack feeds and/or scrolling feeds from both rss and .xml sites is via ajaxloadfile with the direct link from the feed and another combination using simplepie, jquery, and jscroller on to my sites main html pages with permalinks back to the blog...

I suppose I could create a fake user and find out but, I thought I would ask the experts here first.... thanks

6. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

And looking at the feed for this "topic" probably answered that question.. my only question is now, how do I specify a topic or author as a feed? I see the meta stuff for the standard comments and entries... is this a plugin or something that creates rss feeds from categories?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's in there by default.

The only thing MU does not do out of the box is a global feed. But toss in the Sitewide tags plugin and that'll do it.

8. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh thanks went and got the plugin and will now just figure out what to do with it...

I did play around with just the url "fetch"

http://worldnewsvine.com/blog/feed/rss2?comments=united_nations

thingy that seems to work, the only one I can't seem to get to work is changing it to rss2?authors=admin and then of course I have not let anyone post as of today and had registrations turned of because I still needed to learn how to use MU however, would that be correct?

feed/rss?author=john smith for example?

And another "oh yeah" how or where do I go to get this handy little editing icons to allow mark-ups within posts such as the above? I found this little spell checker that quite frankly, I will need to leave instructions on how to use it for, when I did a test post, I just sort of waited, and waited then, things got highlighted, I kept clicking the correction, nothing appeared to happen, then I just gave up, closed it and there was a message about or to paraphrase "accept changes"

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Even simpler:

/author/admin/feed/

Pretty much any URL can have a /feed/ stuck to the end and will serve an rss feed for it.

10. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is that using the plugin you suggested or is that a "defualt" for MU?

Thanks again...

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's default.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nirnimesz
  • Latest reply from andrea_r