The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Disk Space Requirments? (5 posts)

1. Gogle
    Posted 14 years ago #

What are the disk space requirements for the default installation of WordPressMu? I am with a small university, and the blogging will initially be open to faculty and staff -- about 500 total.

This will be for blogging only, so how much disk space should I plan on for WordPressMu and what how much will be necessary for the MySql database?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for which LDAP plug in to choose?

Thanks in advance ...

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Disk space will greatly depend on whether you allow image and video uploads.

I can tell you a raw installation of WPMU (just the core files) runs just under 10MB, including the database.

For an active install, that could shoot up dramatically. I'm running a university Web site on WPMU right now and am using probably 10GB of disk space for around 100 blogs. I include video, images, etc.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

But disk space is cheap so its not really a worry if you've got a "real" server rather than a hosted one ... i.e one where you can either shove a new disk in yourself or get someone to shove another one in for you.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Bare minimum of 256megs of RAM too. Get 512 if you can.

5. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can also set a quota for each blog and a max filesize for uploads. That lets you plan space for a known userbase.

About this Topic