The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problems with database collate in wp-config.php (7 posts)

1. onethousandseas
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm trying to set up an installation of WPMU at domain.com/wpmutest1 but I keep running into errors. Here are the default settings of course:

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    $base = 'BASE';
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_domain' );
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_path' );
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOGID_CURRENT_SITE', '1' );

The errors I've been getting are such things as:

Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!

When I fix that to:

$base = '/wpmutest1';

then I get:

Warning! VHOST must be 'yes' or 'no' in wp-config.php

I'm not really sure why I should change the default settings or what I should change them to.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

You shouldn't touch the wp-config.php at all. The installer should create it for you.

Also WPMU really likes to be in the root rather than in a subdirectory.

3. onethousandseas
    Posted 14 years ago #

I know :-( That's what I tried to do by going to index.php but for some reason it just returns an Error page with the same "Create config file" button.

If I change "wp-config-sample.php"'s filename to "wp-config.php" instead of editing in a text editor and uploading it, I get the same problems as before.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

what if you move it into the root and delete the wp-config.php and run the installer from there.

There are ways to getting it installed in a subdirectory but....

Is mod_rewrite turned on? Is Options overide all set? does apache have write access to the directory you've installed to?

5. onethousandseas
    Posted 14 years ago #

I actually do have a (live) installation of WPMU running on root, but I think I might have borked it by trying to get it running with BuddyPress too. That's why I was thinking I could try to install a fresh copy of WPMU in a subdir with a new database and test BP out over there instead. If it works, I can uninstall WPMU from root, rebuild the database, reinstate all the blogs, and then start from scratch.

All the options you mentioned should be working, I'm pretty sure they were working with the original install.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

WPMU gets very upset if it finds other installs further up the tree.

Why not install in totally clean root and flip your virtual host over to it whilst you do the testing?

7. onethousandseas
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes I think you're right, it looks like I'm just going to have to start from the beginning again :-)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by onethousandseas
  • Latest reply from onethousandseas