The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3

user activation email (61 posts)

1. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I must totally be the acting moron - a user still does not get any email and I don't know how and where to fix that.

Read through all the previous posts but did really not find an answer. It's got to be somewhere a simple answer to that.
    appreciate any help
    thanx

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it only one user who has problems? Chances are they have some sort of spam filter on their account. Take a look at your mail logs to verify that the mail was sent too.

3. klc
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you are running on a unix host, look in the apache error logs or /var/log/mail.log. On Windows, I believe you need to modify the php.ini file with your smtp server. I had the problem where mail wasn't being sent because sendmail wasn't configured properly.

4. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

am in cpanel and can not find either log file - maybe I am missing something

5. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

have "error log" in cpanel, looked at the file, there is nothing referring to mail

6. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

my god - I need to be able to fix this - cause no one can have a blog until they are able to get their activation email - pleeeaaaase help me

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

You need to talk to your host then and have them give you access to the email logs.

8. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any email server options in cpanel? Can you ssh into the box? Check the support forum of your hosting company!

9. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes - am now logged in ssh - but have no clue what I am doing there :( i.e. what command to type

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

'vi /var/log/maillog' without the single quotes.

11. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

did that - got: No such file or directory

12. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

created a file now .mail.log

but could not find anywhere a php.ini on the server

my host has not answered any emails in a few days now - so I am obviously stuck totally.
    It's strange though because there is no problem to send mail from this domain with any other application, or receive mail from forms

I simply just don't get it.
    Am really discouraged now - because I was supposed to have that site "show" ready for a client - and now I can't. Already postponed for a week, that week is up today - and I am loosing the job :(.
    Why is this such a problem in WPMU?

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds like it was more an issue with your host.

14. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

yep - can not change this currently -
    am just loosing the job I needed so desperately

15. Xen
    Posted 17 years ago #

It is a host issue, were it an WPMU issue it would have happened to at least one other person....

Probability points at your host... have you thought of changing hosts?

16. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I got the same symptom... my problem is however linked to a fresh install of RC3. A couple of errors show up on the "Installation was successful" page about some non existing tables... the blog came up but i cannot add any users... i enter details alright... and i get a "User successfully added" but nothing in the list... and no email! I'm guessing it is the RC3 fresh install SQL error bug... there's a topic about it.. so will just have to wait until RC3 has been updated.

if you also did a fresh install... then check out: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1488

17. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

mickemus - that install error isn't serious and has been fixed since. Check if your machine has a running mail server.

18. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi again,
    I checked and yes I do have a running mailserver. It should actually be functioning correctly for signups to receive their email.
    Because on the server regular Wordpress has always been an option for auto-install for all hosting clients.

I wonder, how the code regarding signup has changed in MU.

I still don't know what the difference is between the signup.php and the register.php?

19. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

The signup code has changed a lot but it uses the same mail() command as the rest of WordPress. You really need to check the mail server error logs. Surely there's someone who can tell you where they are?

register.php doesn't exist in WPMU, signup.php does the same job and but also signs up blogs as well as users.

20. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks - donncha

21. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I ran a phpinfo.php also. am seeing the usr sendmail, port etc.

but will keep on it to get a hold of the hosting guy.
    It's a bit of a problem, the server is in NJ, but my main programmer had a horrible accident and is out of commission for at least another 2-3 month. He has a buddy of his, that does minimal maintenance, like rebooting the server etc. but nothing more.
    I had to learn to do the rest pretty much for now at least. And am not very good at it :(

22. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

reason I asked about the "register" php is because the file was in the zip of the last MU I downloaded 3 days ago - lol

23. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a running email server as I already have a Wordpress blog running successfully in another directory!

I used the workaround and modified the hash pw directly and ok now... i got in!

now i've got other problems... i'm becoming a forum junkie!! ;-p

24. wpsannasol
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi folks,
    I have this same problem - wpmu does not send any email to new user.

I've also installed bbPress. bbPress has the same function and does work. New users gets an email with password.

To me this means there is something wrong with wpmu.

So if anybody would solve this problem it would be nice. Can't use wpmu before this problem is solved.

Thanks.

25. activebiz
    Posted 17 years ago #

same here again. my host has regular wordpress for all clients in his package. and the regular wp works just fine.

managed finally for a user to get email - but it only send email if the user has an email address that is on the same domain i.e. whoever@marsart.org - same domain as wpmu is installed on. no other domain works for email in wpmu.

so - can not use the wpmu yet either until there is some fix hopefully soon. it is definitely not the hosting co, as it turns out.

26. blogsurfer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I installed WordPressMU yesterday and am having the same problem.

27. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is funny s--t... mine's working perfectly fine now!! All emails to any destination shoots off like clockwork!!!

28. mahpour
    Posted 17 years ago #

Server is able to send emails while users request for forgotten password but for blog actication no mail is not sending.?!

29. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Try checking the error logs for the mail server, folks. You're running server software now. You should be doing this automatically when you have an issue like this. Professional server admins would be doing this. (I do) You need to be thinking like them. Welcome to the big leagues, guys. :)

30. mahpour
    Posted 17 years ago #

Mail Server is working fine, I just wrote a simple php script to send email and it works fine, email sent from server and recieved at destination! Also I checked the SMTP Server logs, it seems that a message is sent out of the server but I'm not sure if this is the appropriated message.
    is there any configuration related to mail message body parts exists in MUWP? Even if I stop the SMTP service MUWP says that mail has been successfully sent!!! this should be fixed too.

1 2 3

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by activebiz
  • Latest reply from andrea_r