The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

exporting a blog from local mu to remote host (6 posts)

1. wpmudunc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I use MU to develop static 4 page sites with integrated blog on my pc. I wish to export the complete sites to Hostgator.

My question is how do I identify the information I wish to export for each site? I have read up on how to do the actual export with PHPadmin but i need to know which databases I want to export.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Duncan

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Do you want to save site settings and plugin options? If not, you can use the built-in WordPress import/export functions, which would make things quite simple.

If you do want to save site settings and plugin options, do the backup through PHPmyAdmin. You'll need all of the tables beginning with wp_. Import these into the new database on Hostgator. After they are imported, you'll need to go through and manually change database entries in a handful of tables to reflect the new domain name.

3. wpmudunc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Many thanks for your response Tim.

Yes I need to save settings so I need to go through PHPmyadmin.

Any chance you could elaborate on manually changing database entries in tables? ie which entries in which tables?

thanks for the info, its much appreciated

Duncan

4. wpmudunc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, can i just step back to my original question which files to export

My choices from the databases on PHPmyadmin are
    * cdcol (1)
    * information_schema (29)
    * mysql (23)
    * phpmyadmin (8)
    * test
    * wpmu (30)
    Do I go to wpmu next and disregard the others?
    Bearing in mind I only want to export one indivdual blog of several how should I proceed?

Any help much appreciated!!
    Duncan

5. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

The WPMU database you have should have tables prefixed with wp_. You'll either have to export the WPMU database entirely (which will move ALL of your blog data) or you will have to export selected tables for each blog you want to transfer (the tables line up as wp_BLOGID_*).

There are several tables, such as wp_blogs and wp_site (can't remember the others right off) where the domain name is stored. You need to go through each of these tables and change it to reflect the new domain name at hostgator.

6. wpmudunc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Many thanks Tim...Working on it!!!

Duncan

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by wpmudunc
  • Latest reply from wpmudunc