The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Promoting your site? (9 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just wondering how everybody else promotes their MU sites? I'm big on leaving a link in my forum posts sigs.

Any other suggestions?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you have a niche group of users with the same sort of interest, it's a lot easier. :) Then you can promote in the same sort of venues as that interest, that are not blog or tech related.

3. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

AdWords works very nice - at least on the Danish Google.

Also, I do a lot of link exchange with relevant sites.

More important is to SEO your site. I'm constantly on page 1 on Google on two specific search phrases.

4. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't really promote the MU section seeing as it's only a small part of the site intended for some of my regular members. So it's just a little 'local crowd' club of people.
    Promoting the site itself does indeed work wonders through forum sigs seeing as I don't care about SEO traffic. That's just traffic, whereas people who click on my sig on a forum because of what I have to say are much more likely to actually stick around and have the same interests, as Andrea already mentioned.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's the bulk of my new users - they know someone who knows someone who knows me. I'm not getting people who are setting out to just create a blog, I have users who have the same interests and I (as well as members) suggested something along the lines of "Hey, why not blog about it?"

Forum sigs are one, email sigs are another. Talking/posting about it all the time also helps. (And an email newsletter feature didn't hurt me either.)

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

they know someone who knows someone who knows me

Now there's a reason why to bring back the invite system....

:)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doh, here I am giving advice about promoting your MU site and my profile link takes you to my regular blog. :headslap:

(but really, how many homeschoolers are here on the forum?)

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I looked at that as well but since the forum profiles are tied to the regular WP.org forums...

9. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

adwords.
    4 cents a click for a well targetted keyword, and 40% conversion rates when you pick the right landing page.
    Means each new blog costs 10c. Add adsense to each blog, get some good links to your home page and link to your hosted blogs to get good indexing, and you have a business model :).

About this Topic