The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to set email address for mail to users? (36 posts)

1. Simon1
    Posted 17 years ago #

Shared hosts can get their (mail) servers blocked (on quite a regular basis) once a few people on that server start sending out spam etc. Luck of the draw, depending on what server you get placed on, and who your "neighbors" are.

eg. host xxxxxxx.com[xxx.xx.xx.xxx] said: 550-Message rejected because (c5.xxxxxx.net) [xxx.xx.xx.xxx] is blacklisted at 550 dnsbl.njabl.org

So, that's an example of me (webmaster) sending e-mail to member, who's host has picked up that my server is temporarily on the dnsbl.njabl.org blacklist.

Oh, and i would have checked my mail logs long ago, but this particular hosting company (Servage) doesn't give you direct access, because of the way their servers are structured (logs are mashed together, not separated per account).

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Shared hosts can get their (mail) servers blocked (on quite a regular basis) once a few people on that server start sending out spam etc.

I have 42 boxes, 11 class C's and none of them are on any of the major lists. (Even the dirty sites) I'm also a member of CAUSE and SPAM-L. I've been doing webhosting for over 8 years. The issue is that your host didn't want to deal with their spam problem and got listed.

Oh, and i would have checked my mail logs long ago, but this particular hosting company (Servage) doesn't give you direct access,

Submit a ticket. That's why they are there.

because of the way their servers are structured (logs are mashed together, not separated per account).

What box are you on? Don't know of any that do that.
    Sounds more like your host doesn't know what they're doing or giving you the run around.

Oh wait. I see they offer 75 gigs of drive space and over a TB of traffic for $7.50 a month. It's an overseller.

A quick search of the various spam listings shows them to be heavily blocked for being prospam.

A quick search of webhostingtalk shows many complaints.

They're listed at ultracheaphosts.com which is not a good thing.

Sounds more like you're on a cheap site that will host anybody and doesn't care.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found this on a post:

Their limits are 50.000 queries per hour and 20 max sql connections at the same time.

Even that worries me. That's very low for a database usage.

4. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks gwagenknecht! Those code changes seem to do the trick.

5. andylaub
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am having this exact same problem, Bluehost and all. I took a look at the code changes mentioned in the previous post but I suspect the version I'm on (1.2.4) has been updated since then. Is there an updated topic / resolution for this?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, since hte code is up to 1.3 and this thread is a year old...

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by modifiedcontent
  • Latest reply from andrea_r