The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Archive, delete, or deactivate? (6 posts)

1. sethlong
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can't seem to find a doc to explain the differences between these options in MU's Site Admin/Blogs section. Anyone?

2. goodevilgenius
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've been wondering the same thing. I did a little testing. It's a little confusing.

Choosing "deactive" marks it as "deleted" in the database. This causes it not to show up on the blog. If you visit the blog, a message appears which says "This user has elected to delete their account and the content is no longer available."
    This seems like a somewhat inaccurate message.

Choosing "archive" marks it as "archived" in the database. If you visit the blog, a message appears which says "This blog has been archived or suspended."

Choosing "delete" actually deletes the blog, and all its posts and settings from the database.

I don't really see the difference between deactive and archive, other than the error message, though.

3. onethousandseas
    Posted 13 years ago #

Another note:

"Archive" means that you always have the option of unarchiving it. A good option if you need to hide it away for a short while to work on backend stuff.

"Delete" is permanent, irrevocable deletion -- you will not be able to get those posts back at all.

I haven't tried "deactivate" yet.

4. onethousandseas
    Posted 13 years ago #

Oh ok, I accidentally tried it out. "Deactivate" is what happens when a member deletes their own blog. "Archive" means the administer has disabled or suspended it. Both are reversible.

5. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

Wish I knew what deactivate was before I did it lol. It's basically the same as deleting. No posts no nothing.

I'm wondering what page I edit to change the message. I'd much rather the message flash up there then redirect to another blog of my choice - in that case the deleted blogs closest competition hehe.

Anyone got any ideas on which page I should be editing??

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by sethlong
  • Latest reply from andrea_r