The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sample Terms of Use for a blog host? (15 posts)

1. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Frens in the blog hosting field.. Is there an 'open source' Terms of Use around that I can use for my blog hosting site? I'm not a lawyer so anything someone has they'd like to share would be great Of course, I know I can just surf around and steal something but that wouldn't be the in WP spirit then, would it??

2. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Check http://blogs.wooster.edu/terms-of-use/ and http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/home/terms-of-use We got permission from Harvard to use a modified version of their TOS for Wooster. I figured its Harvard Law so they must know what they are doing and their TOS is under CC.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Another example is Wp.com's. Their's is CC'ed as well.

4. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

coffee.... where's my coffee...

Thanks a million... "issue" solved!

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

is there a way to require the terms of use be agreed to upon signup?

6. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

Edit the wp-signup.php file to say that by registering/creating a blog they agree to the ToS? and then provide a link to it so they can read it if they want?

Like in:
    < ?php printf(__("< p>Welcome back, %s. By filling out the form below, you can < strong>add another blog to your account< /strong>. There is no limit to the number of blogs you can have, so create to your heart's content, but blog responsibly.< /p>"), $current_user->display_name) ?>
    < ?php _e('Here are the blogs you already have:') ?>< /p>

Add to that..

Or in:
    < p>Fill out this one-step form and you'll be blogging seconds later!< /p>
    Add to that..

Easiest way without checkboxes/much extra code

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Fake the box. Just throw one on there and don't do anything with it. :whistle:

8. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

LOL that works too...

9. Crimsontech
    Posted 17 years ago #

Personally I just removed all the links to wp-signup.php and made the Terms of Use the sign-up link. Then to get to the signup page, they have to click the agreement link. It's not foolproof, but it works. I also changed the name of wp-signup.php to help this process and also to thwart spambots.

(See it in action@ http://entertains.us)

10. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

looking good ^_~.. like to share where allll the links to wp-signup are located?

11. Crimsontech
    Posted 17 years ago #

If I can remember them. :P "grep" is your friend, but I know there's about 4 instances of it in the file itself, plus you'd have to change the link in your "meta" sidebar box or widget.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I added in mine after the "Fill this..." line that Misera mentions. Deleted it by mistake though during an upgrade.

13. olav
    Posted 17 years ago #

Misera,

Why is ther an extra in the code fragment you posted above? I noticed there was one extra in the home.php in the default home.php also...

~Olav!

14. olav
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmmm, what I meant to ask above was "Why is there an extra < /p> in the code fragment?

~Olav!

15. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

test..

<?php printf(__("< p>Welcome back, %s. By filling out the form below, you can add another blog to your account. There is no limit to the number of blogs you can have, so create to your heart's content, but blog responsibly.< /p>"), $current_user->display_name) ?>
    <?php
    $blogs = get_blogs_of_user($current_user->ID);

if ( ! empty($blogs) ) {
    ?>< p><?php _e('Here are the blogs you already have:') ?>< /p>

<?php

hmm.. might have been an error in the version I was copying from.. last backup I have from 9/22 (I've been on break from working on website due to various issues..) the < p> is there.

edit: ok I just checked at trac.. the most up to date wp-signup.php also doesn't have that problem.. maybe it's time to update? :)

About this Topic