The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Help! It's setup correct but sub domain doesn't work (12 posts)

1. msb4mets
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I setup wordpress mu on a domain within a hosting account on godaddy. Did everything required on their end, dedicated IP, linux hosting, etc

The installation went successful. it actually allows me to setup a new blog. but when i get the auto email to activate the new blog it takes me to an error page where it says:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    oops page not found.
    The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------

when i go to the subdomain it displays a completely different page from another domain on the hosting account.

it does not create a database record.

this is the error in the error log:
    (2)No such file or directory: File does not exist: /var/chroot/home...

If i create a blog from my admin blog, it does create that record in the database but the subdomain still points to another page.

Godaddy verified everything is right on their end and directed me here. They even scoured these forums for me and could not figure it out.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you follow the instructions for setting up DNS wildcards?

GoDaddy accounts have a bit of a "reputation"

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did they set up the wildcard subdomain record? What's the domain of your site?

4. msb4mets
    Posted 14 years ago #

The support person at Godaddy had setup the DNS wildcard for me when he setup my dedicated IP.

I am not sure if they setup the wildcard subdomain record. How would I find this out?

They (Godaddy) looked at it and told me that everything was setup correct and they did not know why it wasn't working.

The domain to my site is http://www.zkicklive.com

thanks

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

You've got www in the address - it shouldn't be there.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's not. Comes up without it.

Looks like the poster is trying to install this alongside other sites:

http://johnsmith.zkicklive.com/

WPMu should be installed as the main site within the account. Still have the screaming kids so I'll let other folks explain. You'll have to forgive me.

edit: Zoom! Zoom! Yes, that's a pretty car. Why don't you go play on daddy's table and not mine?

7. msb4mets
    Posted 14 years ago #

do you mean that I cannot use a domain within the hosting account that isn't the main domain?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

On some hosts, no you can't. WPMU just plain ol' won't work right. And on some hosts, it DOES work right as an add-on domain, so the issue is squarely with the host.

They may have set up the wildcard subdomain, but they didn't do it correctly. It must go to the folder where WPMU is installed.

(feel free to point them here)

9. msb4mets
    Posted 14 years ago #

I called godaddy and they said this is setup correct. For the first time of the 8 times I called, the rep said I cannot install MU in anything but the root directory of the main domain on the hosting account. Of course the other reps I spoke to earlier said I could.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

the rep said I cannot install MU in anything but the root directory of the main domain on the hosting account.

Considering 404's and other errors are going to fall back to the main domain if WPMu is installed as an addon as well, it's best to install WPMu within the root.

At least with most setups. (ie CPanel, Direct Admin, etc.)

11. msb4mets
    Posted 14 years ago #

I cannot install it in the main root unless I get another hosting account. It's either do it as an addon domain or don't do it at all. I'm getting to the point of just bagging it. If anyone can help point me in the direction of getting it to work, I'll give it another shot.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Depends on if you're willing to do it on another host or not. Like I said above, MU not working on an add-on domain is more to do with the host, and less to do with MU.

pony up the 5 or 10 bucks for a month somewhere else and get it installed so you can play with it. :) (wpwebhost will do it for ya)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by msb4mets
  • Latest reply from andrea_r