The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU PLugin Manager problems (28 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi there, I just tried out the plugin from http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Plugin-Manager but I get an error when trying to use it.

Deactivating installer/installer.php on A WPMU testblog (1)...

WordPress database error: [Table 'web5_db1.wp_0_options' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_0_options WHERE option_name = 'active_plugins' LIMIT 1

INSERT INTO wp_0_options (option_name, option_value, option_description, autoload) VALUES ('active_plugins', 'a:4:{i:0;s:13:\"admininfo.php\";i:1;s:23:\"diagnosis/diagnosis.php\";i:2;s:19:\"email-immunizer.php\";i:3;s:27:\"x-dashboard/x-dashboard.php\";}', '', 'yes')
    Done!
    Deactivating installer/installer.php on tenakas testpage (3)...

SELECT option_value FROM wp_0_options WHERE option_name = 'active_plugins' LIMIT 1

INSERT INTO wp_0_options (option_name, option_value, option_description, autoload) VALUES ('active_plugins', 'a:3:{i:0;s:23:\"diagnosis/diagnosis.php\";i:1;s:19:\"email-immunizer.php\";i:2;s:27:\"x-dashboard/x-dashboard.php\";}', '', 'yes')
    Done!

any ideas? I did not find any support forum or contact address for the author.

2. thaiwordpress
    Posted 17 years ago #

But you plugin work or not??

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

what works is the feature to enable or disable certain plugins, but the most important one, the "rule-setting" to disable a certain plugin for all blogs, except for the admin one does not work and gives the above error.

sorry for not having been clear enough.

4. chrisjdavis
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have posted a patched version of this plugin, that now allows for globally deactivating plugins.

You can find the download link here:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Plugin-Manager/

5. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Your download link doesn't seem to be working chris?

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Worked for me.

7. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, chrisdavis: Thanks for the plugin; however, when I activated it, my entire panel and blog interface went completely blank. I had to remove that plugin to retrieve my interface. Any ideas where I need to fix this, in my wpmu code somewhere? [it's probably on this forum, I'm just not finding it]

TIA

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's in the blank pages source code? Anything?

Anything is Apache's or WPMU's error logs?

9. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, drmike:

Nothing is in the blank page source code. I opened the plugin .php file to see if there might be something I could identify there.

WPMU is installed on a Linux server at Rackspace and I'm having a heckofatime working with the Plesk interface to find anything (that's a different issue). But, I don't have access to the Apache setup. I could, however, have the Rackspace guys restart the Apache server and see if that clears anything up.

10. akorelc
    Posted 17 years ago #

[retracked while I think about this a bit more]

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi there,

it works for me but I am curios if I understood its functions right: even if I manually deactivate a plugin a user can still activate it on his plugin backend if I do not deactivate the backend?

can we have it modded so that I (the admin of the whole wpmu installation) can activate / deactivate certain plugins globally or maybe only for certain users without the users being able to manually activate those plugins?

i.e. I have certain plugins I want to make available only to certain suers (maybe paying users) or only to me...

is this possible?

12. SignpostMarvMartin
    Posted 17 years ago #

Following in the footsteps of chrisjdavis, I played around with the plugin and tweaked the UI so it's nicer to look at under the hood, and the Global Plugin management is more efficient when it comes to the action links.

13. pocket5s
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree with Ovidiu. Globally deactivating doesn't do much good if they can just go back and active it.

14. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Tried Site Admin-->Options-->Plugin Menu disabled?

15. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

ovidiu,

From site-meta in db is menu_items.

I don't know how, but someone might now how to add this row, or something like it to user_meta. So plugins could be enabled on a user by user basis.

Usertheme.php from wpmudev.org is an MU plugin that can be enabled/disabled on a user by user basis. Works slick. Might be able to deconstruct it's code to create own plugin.

16. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@dsader

Tried Site Admin-->Options-->Plugin Menu disabled?

would be ok, but I fear it only stops displaying the plugin menue, I guess if you enter the url manually you still get to the plugin page? I'll try it these days....

thx

17. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ovidiu - you will get a blank page.

18. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, thx

still I would like to explain what I think would be a better solution for the plugin management, although I do not know if its possible.

I will just tell you about a scenario I have in my head:

first of all all plugins I consider I have to have active on all blogs, would go inside mu-plugins, then I install all plugins I consider useful, for me and for my bloggers into plugins folder.
    Then I activate the plugins menu for all users and use the plugin manager to restrict access to certain plugins...

I mean what if I could activate all plugins (aka make them available to all blogs) activate those I need on my blog and do not want anyone else to be able to use (i.e. phpmyadmin plugin, database management plugin, etc.) then globally deactivate those "dangerous" plugins so nobody will see them in their plugins menue. (similar to the theme menu, where you can only see themes activated, but still if you choose a theme, and it gets deactivated later you can still use it)

so I could deactivate dangerous plugins like plugins which allow php to be executed in the sidebar, etc.
    thus all blog users coudl still choose what plugins to use and activate..

is this somehow possible?

19. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks guys. I was able to work it out.

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

well, I am curious, what did you work out? does it work? did you change the plugin? what does it do? more details please ;-9

21. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh I mean I installed the plugin. Able to Globally [De-]Activate plugins or

But still the problem is

If I installed a new plugin and I wanted to activate it to only one blog [main blog?], then I have no way. I have to "enable" the plugin menu for all blogs, then I activate on the main blog and then disable the plugin menu for all blogs.

That's not good

22. sharesoft
    Posted 17 years ago #

If I installed a new plugin and I wanted to activate it to only one blog [main blog?], then I have no way. I have to "enable" the plugin menu for all blogs, then I activate on the main blog and then disable the plugin menu for all blogs.

You can do this Plugins-->Check Active Plugins(Quick Menu on upper right corner) then click the link of the blog ID and that will bring you to the plugin page for that particular blog which will then allow you to activate or deactivate plugins for that blog

23. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow.. thanks a lot sharesoft.

I'm glad I replied.

24. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

Has anybody come up with a solution to enable / disable plugins on a blog by blog basis. I have Plugin Manager and it works fine for disabeling and enabling globally or disabeling a plugin on specific blogs, but those blogs can still re-enable that plugin.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, something like the theme manager, where you can enable themes on a blog by blog basis, or you can enable certain themes globaly.

I have some plugins that are only needed on a few blogs not all blogs. For example "bbpress integration" plugin, is only needed for one blog not all of them. It would be nice to just enable for one and none of the others (I dont need help trouble shooting bbpress integration, I only choose it for explanation purposes)

Thanks

25. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

A blog by blog basis of plugin activation and being able to see the plugins would be sweet.

26. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

So there is this: http://dev.signpostmarv.name/pub/wordpress/wpmu/plugman-revisited.phps

is this what everyone is using now?

27. qwe010
    Posted 16 years ago #

i use that

http://dev.signpostmarv.name/pub/wordpress/wpmu/plugman-revisited.phps

it work good

but if i sign in or save option tha page show white

and i must open new page but tha option saved and work good ?

28. deenyusoff
    Posted 16 years ago #

the global management allows blog by blog plugin installer, but when I do activate a plugin for the particular after clicking the blog id, it gives me warnings. For example when I activated Polarity contest plugin via plugin manager.

Anyone knows the workaround? I think the inputs were not created in the user's blog tables. Not sure if another table was to be made or another row in one of the blogs..

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Ovidiu
  • Latest reply from deenyusoff