The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Redirect Loop/500 error: GoDaddy hosting (9 posts)

1. mybenson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed MU last night and everything was fine, with the exception of a 500 error with one plugin. But I could login to the dashboard and view the site so all was well.

I had added a new blog in the dashboard, but figured it wouldn't work because I'm having issues trying to setup the wildcard DNS with my GoDaddy shared hosting.

Then today, I went to the Dashboard and clicked on "Backend" for my main site, the one that was working last night. It said it couldn't find the site, and I noticed it was trying to pull up http://sparklogix.comwp-admin, rather than http://sparklogix.com/wp-admin. So I went back to the dashboard, edited the site to include the "/" behind .com and tried it again.

And that's when it all began. I get a Firefox page load error:

Redirect Loop

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

when I try to access the wp-admin page or the actual site. I have tried with and without the .htacess file, and I'm not sure what to do beyond this point.

If it helps, here is what is in the .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

I'm extremely new to all this MU stuff, and if you can talk to me like a child so I can better understand the steps I need to take, that might help a ton :)

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

okay, so I'll mention it's not the htaccess file, and the only reason you ever need to post it is if it is not the default. :)

GoDaddy has certain requirements if you install MU on their servers. Did you ask them if you have all you need (yes, of course they'll upsell you).

"So I went back to the dashboard, edited the site to include the "/" behind .com "

Which menu did you do this in?

3. mybenson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I found a link in their Help center and followed it to a "T" (after uninstalling the first mess). It said I needed a minimum of Deluxe hosting (which I have) and a dedicated IP address (which I have).

I also read your eBook, although I'm not sure I understood it all since it was for a different host, but am pretty sure I got it right, and after I just finished the second install, I get a redirect loop error.

I can't remember exactly what the menu was called that I edited, but it's the second menu on the left, and in that menu I clicked "blogs" where it lists all blogs under that WPMU account. The site I edited was not a subdomain, it was the root.

Any ideas on what I've done wrong. I really don't want to delete and reinstall again. FTP is taking so long and I'm running out of days to get this set up.

I really appreciate your time :)

4. mybenson
    Posted 14 years ago #

As soon as I finished typing that response, I thought I'd try it one last time. I put htaccess.dist back in the root, deleted wp-config (again) and it allowed me to install, giving me the random password and link to login.

However, when I c&p the generated password, it says it's wrong. Then I try to use the password I had set up initially and it just goes back to the login page.

Also, not sure if this is the correct log in URL: http://sparklogix.com/sparklogix/wp-login.php

Should the /sparklogix/ be there after the domain, if I installed WPMU in the root?

5. mybenson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, I went around the login page and just typed in a URL to take me directly to the admin page and I got in. But in the Site Admin, under Blogs (that's where I changed that / behind the URL in the first place), it's got the domain as sparklogix.com and the path as /sparklogix/.

Is it okay to edit the path to just have the /, since I want the page to be sparklogix.com?

This has been beyond frustrating, although I know it will be great in the long run. It's all a learning process to make me better at what I do, right?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"It's all a learning process to make me better at what I do, right? "

Theoretically, yes. :)

The "reinstall" didn't do much because you forgot to drop the tables in the db, so it had all the old info.

"Should the /sparklogix/ be there after the domain, if I installed WPMU in the root? "

nope, it shouldn't. :) You got that right.

7. mybenson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Alright, last question, I hope. And by the way, thank you a ton for all your help.

When you say I need to drop the tables, what exactly do you mean, and how do I go about doing that?

Thanks again!

8. codefix3r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You'd need to log in to your database management tool (likely phpMyAdmin or something that GoDaddy uses -- it should be in the Databases section of your GoDaddy account page). You'd then delete any tables that are in the database.

9. pjrfigueiredo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I solved my 500 Internal Server Error on my mediatemple (gs) server.
    How?
    Default .htaccess its wrong!, but ok, after entering the database data mu wordpress warns us about it.

Original

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

Change for

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

Hope to help u guys and girls.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by mybenson
  • Latest reply from pjrfigueiredo