The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

major stress! timthumb problem (11 posts)

1. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

please help! have installed wpmu, images not loading in featured catagories, (tried various themes) have contacted hostgator, they have modified the mod settings, and say there are no issues blocking images. they said its a problem with timthumb. It worked just fine on single user wp, just wont work now that i moved to wpmu. I entered the info in the custom fields as before, image icons show and image names so file must be in correct place....any help would be appreciated!

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

You're right. Timthumb doesn't work on wpmu. :)

Give me a sec and I'll find the how to fix it thread.

edit: I *think* this is the currect fix. I see a couple of threads pointing folks to it. I could have sworn we had a thread that discussed this as well but I can't find it right off. Andrea or someone else will have to weigh in:

http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/2009/10/timthumb-wordpress-mu/

3. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for that tdjcbe. At least I know now its not just me! The link you provided shows how to fix it, on the presumption that is that I know something about coding! Guess what? I dont! Its just jargon to me! I was told this software was sooo easy to install and use....wrong! Its a nightmare, buggy as hell and so frustrating that probably only professional techs can install and make it work. Im now happy to pay someone just to make this work if you or anyone else can recommend someone.
    This is not the only problem I have...blogs are not working either, something to do with wildcard, subdomains issues sorted but still dont work....
    Thanks for your help though...

Stressed newbie!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Technically it's not timthumb, it's the way the timthumb script is called in the theme.

What theme are you using? On some of the popular ones, some people have fixed it already.

Uh, yeah. Given your other posts, you need soemone to get you straightened out. :) See:
    http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers.

Do note I'm booked up tho, just buzzing thru here...

5. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

Im now using slidette, have the same problem when tryin arras theme. thanks for the freelancers link. have a look now.

6. vested1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Had the same problem

'http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/2009/10/timthumb-wordpress-mu/ '

CANNOT be used that fashion....

Create a Custom Filed Named "thumb" (no quotes) next, each post you would like the image to appear, try adding this
    'http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/01/myimage.jpg'

Now for the really fun stuff --- you must obviously change the month and year as they change AND for each blog, the number /1/ for example must be changed to reflect each blog e.g /2/, /3/, etc

Give it a whirl and see what happens...

If you get stuck or not certain how to make a "Custom Field Entry" let anyone know, the moderators or I could help you on that...

A rather headbanger to figure out not to mention, that all your other users will need to get used to it as well.

I use "Admin Ads" and post the current link at the top of the page with some brief instructions (of course I already created the custom field for them), they only have to add the

'http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/01/myimage.jpg' into the value field...

Good Luck

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

... except users normally have no idea what their blog id is.

FTR, I have actually gotten it to work on at least one theme.

It's up to those of us struggling with them to pressure the theme devs to fix it so it works in both.

8. vested1
    Posted 14 years ago #

I will need to give that a try -- I doubt it will work since I do believe the theme I have that owner also belongs to this blog...

Any idea on why my database is not allowing the 'authors' posts to not be displayed when someone clicks on their name but, if you check the sme url with /feed/ all the posts show up....

I am using the ra-remove-blog-offset however, I checked my records (date of purchase) and I know that the blog was okay for almost 3 weeks before that problem started...

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's up to those of us struggling with them to pressure the theme devs to fix it so it works in both

That's going to become more of an issue when 3.0 roles out.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, which is why I've been talking to some theme devs already. Considering 2.9.x has its own thumbnail system, they've been looking into that option (since of course it will work with multiple blogs too).

11. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

ive put a request in at rentacoder for someone to do it for me...let you know how i get on.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nick ellison
  • Latest reply from nick ellison