The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to install feedwordpress (19 posts)

1. andycarroll
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

I'd like to use a feed aggregator for my home site. The feedwordpress plugin states that it is not compatible with WPMU.

Has anyone installed the plugin, and if so, how?

Thanks

Andy

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

3. andycarroll
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

I already use the sitewide feed, which is cool, but what I wanted to do was combine all of the blogs into channels, and then aggregate them channels on the main blog, as categories. I have a number of blogs which cover video games for example, and it would be nice to be able to offer a video games channel, which readers could subscribe to, rather than subscribe seperately. Subscribing to the site feed perhaps gives them info they are not interested in.

I also wanted to aggregate content from blogs which are not part of my WPMU install.

Has anyone installed feedwordpress, or has done a similar thing with Magpie RSS ?

4. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm looking for this too... along with the same functionality but with tags/tagclouds!!

5. parakeet
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, this would be good.
    A suggestion would be to mash together your selected feeds into various single feeds using something like FeedDigest, then make those feeds appear on your page - but I totally understand that, then, you wouldn't neccessarily be able to display comment count and so on.

Any word, WPMU people, on how to achieve this properly?

6. andycarroll
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

With regards to Tag Clouds, I also wanted to use that technology, and my idea was simply to use the Tag Warrior Plugin and include the tags in the feeds, and then I would be able to use the tag cloud in the home blog, as all content and included tags would be aggregated there, giving me a global, or even channel, tag cloud.

Need to fix the feed issue first though, and then see if Tag warrior can do the tag bits.

Andy

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The site-wide tag cloud issue is one we've been trying to figure out for months.

8. jschinker
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't know if this will help. I use feed_wordpress on my WP 1.5 sites, but didn't try to get it working with wpmu. It may not be that hard. I've found that the $blog_id variable can be very useful in redirecting the table names in other plugins.

For WPMU, I'm using Chris Hatcher's firstRSS (http://www.underjc.com/firstrss/). This should be a lot easier for my users, because they just use [rsspara:URL] to insert a feed into a post. They can then annotate around the feed however they want. The disadvantage is that the feed is a post (or a page) instead of each individual item having its own post. But you could easily incorporate multiple feeds that way just by using multiple posts. Then, they could all be in a "feeds" category or something similar.

If you do use firstRSS, I did find that I had to make a change to firstRSS.php. Around line 99, I replaced this:
    $find[] = $val[0];
    $replace[] = $disp;
    with this:
    $find = $val[0];
    $replace = $disp;

Without it, I didn't get any items displayed in my feeds.

9. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about using ultimate tag warrior and hacking it a bit... like for say... hardcoding the references to post2tag, tags, and tag_synonyms tables so they arent created like wp_1_tags.

I guess we'd need to put in user_id into post2tag global as well as a title and permalink to the actual post.. trick would be to retrieve an excerpt so that it ends up being a little bit informative in the list or supplied results...

Even without an excerpt we'd be able to build a tag cloud!

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

there's a gloabl_categories field in the db, but it's not used because (i think) it is resource-intensive to do it that way. Wouldn't matter so much on small sites, but on large ones... yeah.

11. Toucouleur
    Posted 17 years ago #

I installed sitewide Feed but I get only the first blog in the Feed. I'm not able to show the whole feed for all blogs in MUWP.

I ut trigger ID to 1, But I'm still trying to understand what this trigger is used for (yes I read the documentation ;))

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, so we've diverged a bit from the topic title. Any ideas why feedwordpress does not work? Has anyone got it to work on wpmu?

Multi-user sites are all about heralding the site as a great place to hang out, where people are already talking. Syndicating other blogs into the site can be a key part of the business value proposition.

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree with you mrjcleaver, trying to find a RSS importer has been a key goal of mine since I started using wpmu. One thing I would suggest, having tried to use feedwordpress without much luck myself, would be in hacking the Import from RSS option (found under Manage-> Import -> Import from RSS) to work as a plugin. It seems to already be built into wordpress...so why not retool what already gets the job done?

Perhaps setting it up as a cron job could be a way to automate the process....we could then work on tag clouds later on.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to follow up on this, as I've just noticed - Magpie is integrated into WP/WPMU. Look in wp-includes/rss-functions.php

So like many things, the functionality is there, you just have ot figure out how to harness it.

15. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was only really interested in feedwordpress for building the tag cloud function. As soon as Dr. Mike releases his steps I think we'll see a working feedwordpress. I'm not sure but I'm fairly confident that's what he would have used to make all the posts to one blog.

16. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm. There's no linkage - in which did drmike say he'd release steps showing how he solved this problem?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

In another thread somewhere. He's also still pretty busy and having issues getting online.

18. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

19. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Great, thanks guys.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andycarroll
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver