The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

SMTP Plugin (11 posts)

1. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi all,

I've got a rough and ready SMTP plugin running on FilmJournal - mainly because I couldn't find out how to use an external server with MU as standard.

It uses PHPMailer and works pretty well. If anyone thinks it may be useful to them, let me know and I'll tidy it up and release it for other people to use.

Colin

2. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've uploaded this to:

http://www.poisonousmonkey.com/downloads/smtp-mail_0_0_1.zip

Ideally it should be installed in the mu-plugins directory. However, you can chose to install it into the plugins directory to enable it manually for each blog.

The main smtp-mail.php file should be in the root mu-plugins folder:

mu-plugins/smtp-mai.php

The folder contains the PHPMailer classes it uses.

3. jackaldu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I tried to upload it to mu-plugins. But it looks like it doesnt work my blog went down blank page. I really need smtp because my bloger dont recive their activations email.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Howdy.

I too needed smtp for outgoing mail, since I absolutely refuse to configure sendmail to allow access for the user "nobody", which means if it's a domain that isn't on the same box, it's dropped.

Normally, I use the Coffee2Code SMTP plugin, and it's wonderful.

MU is it's own beast in some aspects, and allowing individual users all the options associated with the c2c plugin is a bit much. Not to mention that it needs to be set to use smtp.

So, I made a few modifications to the c2c plugin, and it's working like a champ.
    It isn't anything fancy, and the default value settings (read as: your smtp info) simply replaces the default settings in the code.

I did spruce it up a bit, so that it auto-inserts their username as the "from" address, as well as the sender's displayed name too.

Oh, I also added in the nonce for the settings form, and took out all the settings options except for the from email address and displayed name.

I'll admit that I haven't checked in a couple months to see if they've updated their plugin, so the version I have may not be the latest.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is after I go back and check their license, if someone is interested in this plugin that's been edited to work (better) with MU, I'd be happy to share it.

If their license doesn't allow redistribution, I'll work with them and pass along the changes I've made so they (hopefully) can opt to release an MU version.

Worst case, I can at least mention what I changed and hopefully not make anyone upset.

For the record, the original plugin works correctly, unmodified and in the mu-plugins directory (all 4 files), but individual blog owners get the full options page.

As a note, it could also be arranged to remove the settings page all together, as it calls an action for the admin head that inserts the default data.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Or put in the "if site admin show page else die" hook. :)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Depends on if you want the end user to be able to set the email address and from name options or not.

Other than that, with c2c's plugin, there isn't really anything else that needs to be edited by an end user.

I did review their license last night, and it's all good.

Also, as a note, their original plugin hasn't been updated in 18 months. But, it still works just fine. So I guess if it isn't broke...

I'll know more as I play around with it, but I have it running on my local test box (which doesn't have sendmail or anything of the sort on it), and I have it sending emails through one of my remote smtp boxes.

Installing MU on that box was interesting, since it couldn't email me a password. But, it wasn't really a big deal. I copied a password from another standard wp install on that box and all was well. :D

But, I've added 4 test blogs to it as well as requested a few PW resets as well.

All came through just fine.

7. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

lunabyte, could you share your version of this plugin please? Is it "safe" to use on a live MU site?

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry, I've canned it because of the new smtp class in the core.

9. microbe
    Posted 17 years ago #

ColinFilmJournal, thanks, the plug in works fine.

10. m1gu3
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just downloaded the plugin for that known issue we are trying to fix, just one thing, how can I get my mailserver address? thx in advance guys.

11. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to ask your hoster :) Usually it's main.yourdomain.com

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by ColinFilmJournal
  • Latest reply from VentureMaker